Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex Regiment

richardp@comsine.co.uk

Hi all

I know my Great Uncle, Harold Gibson was in the Middlesex Regiment during the war, but I don't know which battalion. How is it best to find out? I know he enlisted on the 1st September 1914 and was with them for the duration of the ward, when in 1919 he transferred to the 1st Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. I know from his medal card that his Middlesex Regiment number was 2539 and he was a Private. He entered France on the 25th July 1915.

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Richard, the 12th Battalion landed on the 26th July 1915 so I think maybe the 25th July would be the date that the battalion embarked,

cheers, Jon

What page number of the medal rolls is it on? I have about a 1/3rd of the Northamptons ones at present.

The 12th Middlesex, being the junior battalion of the 54th Infantry Brigade was disbanded in February 1918 with it's men being transferred to other battalions. It had perviously been through many major actions, including the Fist Day of the Somme (Reserve of 54th Brigade), Trones Wood, Thiepval, Boom Ravine, Arras, and 3rd Ypres.

Medal card of Gibson, Harold

Corps Regiment No Rank

Middlesex Regiment G/2539 Private

Northamptonshire Regiment 10975 Private

His Northamptonshire Regiment number is actually very early (August 1914) if it is correct, and at odds with embarking to France with the Middlsex Regiment in July 1915. It may be 70975, as these are more in fitting with 1919 numbers. The Northamptons MICS and Medal Rolls are very economical with facts, and he may have had a different Northamptons number in the middle?

Steve.

Hi Steve

I have his service book from his time in the Northamptonshires (he stayed with them up to the mid 1930's) which says he was posted to them on the 9th October 1919; his army number is down as 5875671. All the service book says about his time in the Middlesex Regiment is that he enlisted 1/9/1914 and was with them for the 'duration of the war'.

I should therefore think that you are right about the number being wrong on the medal card as he didn't join the Northamptonshires until after the war had ended.

Richard

Hi Chris

Yes, I've got the forms from them to fill in, but I wasn't sure that what will come back would cover his 1st WW service, hence my question.

Many thanks

Richard

Can you tell me the page numbers of the 1914-15 Star and the VM/BWM and I'll see if I have copies.

Steve.

Sorry, Richard.

I don't have copies of those pages.

The 1914-15 Star page I have labelled B231 has "H" surnames on it and the "C"s (generally for those later transferred to other Regiments, doesn't go up that far.

I suspect he must be on a Middlesex Regiment Roll for the 1914-15 Star, probably due to his late transfer.

Steve.

Many thanks for trying anyway Steve. I'll send off to the MoD for his army service records and also make a trip to Kew in the New Year.

Richard