Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hood Bn. R.N. Div. - Able Seaman A.Innocent

privatewickham

Hi,

I was taking my son for a walk in his pram earlier and passed the Derby war memorial to the men of the Derby Railway industry and came upon the curious and somewhat apt name of A.Innocent.

I have located him on the cwgc and he was in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in the Hood Batalion. He was killed 21/08/1918. Can someone shed any light on what his battalion was involved in on that day and where they were?

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, names like this do sem to stick out a little don't they.

Able Seaman Albert Innocent was killed on the opening day of the Battle of Albert 21st - 23rd August 1918...how apt that it was this battle in which he was killed. The Canadians have a close link with the cemetery, a large maple leaf on the gates and the name Adanac which is the reversal of Canada, more than half of the burials here are unidentified, hope this helps,

cheers, Jon

Downloading the link above will give you copies of his RND service cards.

The war diary is in WO 95/3115 Hood Battalion 1918 Aug; 1919 Jan-Apr

Simon,

this from Len Sellers' book 'The Hood Battalion' published by Pen & Sword, 1995 [iSBN 0 85053 386 9]

"The RND was now part of IV Corps, and was ordered into the attack on 21st August. Their objectives were the enemy front line positions in Bucquoy, Ablainzevelle and its spur, after which they were to take the Irles-Bihucourt line, then turn northwards along the Achiet-Arras railway.

At 4.55 am, in thick mist, the 37th Division advanced with the two naval brigades in its rear. The Germans had suddenly retreated and there was very little open resistance. A tank accompanying the Hood lost its way, followed by one company of the battalion; after some desperate fighting, they took the village of Achiet-le-Petit. Two other tanks reached the target of the Achiet-Arras railway successfully, where two Hood companies and one of the Drake established a temporary lodgement. By 6 pm the battle was at a standstill. The Germans counter-attacked several times on 22 August, but were driven back on each occasion, and the Hood was withdrawn that night."

regards

Michael

Simon

I have found his death record. The entry is: Innocent, Albert. Able Seaman. Hood Btn. RMD

Death cert ref: 1918 RM 2003

Regards

Ryegate

Thanks for your help on this everyone! Ive just noticed his Mum and Dad's address on CWGC, he lived only a couple of streets away from me!

Albert Innocent voluntered in October 1915 and first served with Nelson Battalion from August 1916 as a Stokes Mortar gunner. He was wounded at Arras in April 1917 and invalided home, rejoining Nelson seven months later. When Nelson Battalion disbanded in February 1918 he transferred to Hood.

Albert Innocent voluntered in October 1915 and first served with Nelson Battalion from August 1916 as a Stokes Mortar gunner. He was wounded at Arras in April 1917 and invalided home, rejoining Nelson seven months later. When Nelson Battalion disbanded in February 1918 he transferred to Hood.

Cheers Horatio!