Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos Trench maps

mametzwood

Hello all,

Im trying to locate a trench mapfor the Loos area, in particular during 1916 when the 18th Welsh were occupying trenches near Loos as part of 40 Division.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What part of the map do you want any particular date.

John

Hi John,

Received your PM many thanks.

The area really in general though im researching the 18th Welsh who were in trenches near to Loos between June and October 1916 as part of 40 Division. Algiers trench? Fosse 2

Also the area of Fosse 8 in Sept 1918 running along the north/south road Corons De Pekin an Les Mines.

Many Thanks.

SWB

Could not Find Algeria Trench or Fosse 2, but found Fosse 8 La Basse map. PM me with your address.

John

post-1365-1196510941.jpg

Here are fosses 2 and 8 = Schacht 2 and 8. The pic seems to be small but save it on your desktop and zoom in -it will show you all the details

post-80-1196523024.jpg

Here are fosses 2 and 8 = Schacht 2 and 8. The pic seems to be small but save it on your desktop and zoom in -it will show you all the details

Some confusion here. This area is to the NE of Lens. The ' other side' of Hill 70 at the Battle of Loos. I believe the fighting here would have been much later than the Battle of Loos 1915. Pitheads,( Fosses) were named and numbered with reference to the actual colliery where they were situated. There were probably several Fosse 8.'s in the coalfields. The one near Hohenzollern Redoubt was Fosse 8 Bethune.

That last one is the Fosse 8 of 25th September, Egbert. That is less than a kilometre from where my GF was wounded. There is no trace of the Fosse now, parts of the pithead area where it was are a playpark with swings etc. I think Grandad would have approved.

Nice picture Egbert

Andy

Nice picture of the winding gear and pithead installations, Egbert.Thanks for posting it. Do you know when this photograph was taken? Anyone who has stood on the billiardtable of Loos would immediately realise the marvellous view this building would have given. It beggars belief that men of the 9th Div were sent in to the attack before this was levelled to the ground. Its big brother to the south, ' Tower Bridge', was not allowed to stand for long after the Germans were forced to give it up, Their artillery promptly demolished it.

Well thanks, but the picture is courtesy of the aviator K.Doelle of whom I have to albums, 5 pics from Schacht 8. I estimate the photos from appr. 1915/16 the latest 1917, certainly not 1918