Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maj C.J. Emile CLERICI, C.I.E, O.B.E

frev

Was just wondering if anybody knew anymore detail about this man – military or personal. (No, I haven’t downloaded his MIC)

Charles John Emile CLERICI was born c1876 to Earnesto & Louisa CLERICI.

He was stationed in India in 1919 – when he married AANS Sister, Constance Jessie BROOKS (on the 7th March) – she was stationed at the Gerard Freeman Thomas Hospital, Bombay, at the time.

In 1921 they were living in Sandringham, Vic, Aus – before apparently heading back to India for a couple of years of service. Emile died in 1938 at Middle Brighton, Vic, Aus (age 62).

Constance died in 1966 at Beaumaris. They had at least one son, John Winton Murray CLERICI, who died in 1946 at Brighton, age 25.

Would appreciate anything further that can be offered.

Cheers, Frev

He appears here (at least, I'm assuming that it was the same bloke): http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/FullDisplay.as...d=014-000056354

It's only a snippet, but it may help.

The book, "Who was Who" is apparently a publication about British India, and copies are held in the British Library in London. (From http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Sources.aspx: Who was Who Biographical information is available in this publication for the people indicated, but details have not been extracted for inclusion on this website. The British Library shelfmark is OIA.920.041).

You may be able to find a copy of this publication elsewhere?

If all else fails you could possibly join the Rootsweb "India List" and see whether anyone is prepared to do a look-up for you at the BL.

I did a quick search on "The Times On-line" and there are several references to him in the "Official Appointments" section. You can subscribe to "The Times On-line" through the State Library of Victoria. Alternatively, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the relevant pages.

But not tonight. I'm about to have a beer!

Noel

(from Sandy!)

Frev,

Here is his entry in 'Who Was Who 1929 - 1940' hope that it helps.

Andy

post-1871-1196410414.jpg

Frev

The India List will also be helpful if you can get hold of a copy. This should give information about his service in India, as well as some limited war service information.

TR

Thanks for your time & trouble guys - have already gleaned quite a bit of useful info from your posts.

Noel - I didn't annoy you last night - as while you were enjoying your beer - I was enjoying a few wines with some of the Vic Pals at Southbank! Anyway, I'm assuming the references in the 'Official Appointments' of the Times would be similar to the info in the 'Gazette' - so I won't annoy you today either. Thanks for the offer though.

Thanks again - Cheers, Frev

• 4 years later...
Guest samwise11

Good afternoon,

I've stumbled across this forum whilst on day 1 of looking for some information on a relative. I've known for a while there was someone in the family who served in the war and mum finally passed on his name and some information to me today..... I'm really interested to find out more!

Anyhow, that man is my Great Grandfather, Charles Clerici.

I have read this forum, a bit on the india family website and currently reading about the Post Office of India . I was just wondering if anyone found some more information on him that they would be able to pass on. Mum thinks they might have some old letters and articles in storage somewhere and if this is the case I am hoping to get my hands on them one day.

Hi Samwise & welcome to the forum (a Hobbit fan by any chance?)

It's a very long time since I looked into the lives of your great grandparents - and even though I didn't find out anymore detail at the time, I'll copy below what I do have in my database, incase any of it helps you in anyway.

Be sure to let us know if you do unearth any letters etc.

Cheers, Frev

BROOKS, Constance Jessie – Sister, AANS

Married Major Charles John Emile CLERICI, Postal Department / Royal Engineers on the 7/3/1919 at the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Bombay, India – with Sister Ada Hodson (AANS) as bridesmaid

Constance was born on the 8/4/1888 at Esplanade, Williamstown, Vic – daughter of Yates BROOKS (b. Liverpool) & Emma MULLEN – who married at Williamstown 13/1/1874 – Yates (a Customs Dept officer) d. Oct 1896, age 58; Emma d.8/11/1940 Sandringham, age 81 – they are buried together at St Kilda Cemetery

Siblings: (all born Williamstown) Florence Ethel b.1875; Cecil Leicester b.&d.1877 (1m); Marian Reva b.1878; Essie Barton b.1880; Stanley Clive b.1882; Wynton Chassie b.1884 – WW1: Dvr 10809, 22 ASC, AIF – d.1969; Reginald Barton b.1886;

Wynifred Darra b.1892 Caulfield

Religion: C of E

Description: Medium height & weight, fair complexion with brown eyes & hair

Trained: in the Melbourne & Bendigo Hospitals

WW1: Enlisted for service 17/8/1916

Served in No 5 Australian General Hospital, St Kilda Rd, Melbourne

Enlisted for overseas service with the British India Service 8/12/16

Embarked at Melbourne 26/12/1916 on the Mooltan – and disembarked in Bombay 15/1/1917 – where she was posted to the Colaba War Hospital

Transferred to the 18th Stationary Hosp, Rawalpindi 18/6/1917 – and then to the Victoria War Hosp, Bombay 10/11/17

She then served on the Hospital Ship Ellora from the 17/6/18 – 13/12/18, when she was transferred to the Gerard Freeman Thomas Hosp, Bombay

Having been promoted to Temp Sister 1/10/18, whilst in India, Mesopotamia or at sea – she was then made Sister on the 26/12/18

Constance resigned her appointment with the AANS on the 6/3/1919 in order to marry the following day.

Constance & Emile returned to Australia with their infant daughter in July 1920

Emile was born c1876 Milan, Italy – son of Earnesto & Louisa CLERICI

Served throughout the war with the Postal Department / Royal Engineers in Mesopotamia

Major E Clerici, C.I.E., O.B.E., R.E. was presented with his medals for the C.I.E. (awarded 1916) & O.B.E (awarded 1918) by the Governor General, at Government House, Melbourne on the 26/9/1921

The family was resident at “Denby Dale” Abbott St, Sandringham in Sept 1921

They then left Australia 3/12/1921 for India (for a number of years), were Emile was to take up the position of Postmaster-General at Bengal and Assam

Constance was resident at “Colpetty”, Abbott St, Sandringham in Aug 1923

Emile retired from the Indian Civil Service in 1931 & returned to Australia on the Maloja in November

Resident 1 Tennyson St, Brighton, Vic 1936

Children (3):

1. Constance Ruth b.1920 Iraq – marr Cpl Dion Stuart JOHNSTON (RAAF) 23/6/1944 Sandringham – d.1999 Melb

2. John Winton Murray b.c1921 – d.24/6/1946 Brighton, age 25

3. Charles Phillip D (a teacher) living with Constance in 1954

Emile died 14/6/1938 Middle Brighton, age 62

Buried Fawkner Cemetery

Constance died in May 1966 Beaumaris, age 78

Cremated 1/6/1966 Springvale Botanical Cemetery (Ficus ground niche, Garden 3, Sect E, Niche 8)

The Argus, Wed 11 Apr 1888:

BIRTHS

BROOKS – On the 8th inst, at Esplanade, Williamstown, the wife of Yates Brooks – daughter.

Supplement to the London Gazette, 18 Aug 1916:

India Office, 18th Aug 1916

The KING has been graciously pleased to make the following appointments to the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, in recognition of the meritorious services of the undermentioned gentlemen during the War:

To be additional Companions of the said Most Eminent Order.

Charles John Emile Clerici, Esq, Postal Department, Basra.

Supplement to the London Gazette, 18 Nov 1918:

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD

St James’ Palace, S.W., 18th Nov 1918

The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointments to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, for distinguished service in connection with military operations in Mesopotamia. To be dated 3rd June 1918:

To be Officers of the said Most Excellent Order:

T/Captain Charles John Emile Clerici, C.I.E., Royal Engineers

Supplement to the London Gazette, 22 Jan 1919:

Corps of Royal Engineers

The undermentioned temp Capts to be temp Majs, and to retain their actg rank where specified. 1st Oct 1918:

C.J.E. Clerici

The Argus, Sat 5 Jul 1919:

MARRIAGES

CLERICI – BROOKS – On the 7th March, 1919, at Roman Catholic Cathedral, Bombay, India, Major John Emile Clerici, C.I.E., O.B.E, R.E., director of postal services, Mesopotamia, to Constance Jessie Brooks, daughter of Mrs and the late Yates Brooks.

The Argus, Fri 16 Jul 1920:

PERSONAL

Major E. Clerici, C.I.E., O.B.E., R.E, (British), and Mrs E. Clerici, late of the Australian Army Nursing Sisters, have arrived at Melbourne from Mesopotamia. Major Clerici served continuously in Mesopotamia from the commencement of the war, during which he was mentioned seven times in dispatches and was awarded his two decorations. Mrs Clerici, who is a Victorian, was sent out on active service in 1916, and served in Bombay and on the North-West Frontier of India, and on hospital ships running between India and East Africa, Egypt, and Basrah, in Mesopotamia.

The London Gazette, 9th Feb 1923:

The undermentioned relinquish their commns on completion of service:

Temp Maj C.J.E. Clerici, C.I.E., O.B.E., 10th Jan 1922, and retains the rank of Maj

The West Australian, Wed 18 Nov 1931:

MALOJA’S PASSENGERS

Among the passengers on the mailboat Maloja, which passed through Fremantle from London yesterday, were the following:

Mr C.J.E. Clerici, C.I.E., O.B.E., who recently retired from the Indian Civil Service t make his home in Australia.

The Argus, Wed 15 Jun 1938:

Major C.J.E. Clerici

The death occurred yesterday morning at Brighton of Major Charles John Emil Clerici, at the age of 62 years. Major Clerici, who was born at Milan, Italy, was a naturalised British subject. He served in Mesopotamia with the British Royal Engineers, and was mentioned in dispatches six times.

After the war he was an officer of the postal service in India, and was Postmaster-General at Bengal and Assam. He came to Australia on his retirement in 1931. He leaves a widow, two sons, and a daughter. Mrs Clerici, formerly Miss Constance Brooks, of Melbourne was an Australian war nurse when she met her husband. They were married during the war. The funeral will leave his home, 1 Tennyson street, Brighton Beach, at 10.30 am to-day for the New Melbourne Cemetery, Fawkner. Arrangements are in the hands of A.A. Sleight Pty Ltd

[photo]

The Argus, Thur 16 Jun 1938:

Major C.J.E. Clerici

The funeral of Major Charles John Emil Clerici left his home at Tennyson street, Brighton Beach, yesterday morning for the New Melbourne General Cemetery, Fawkner.

The Brighton sub-branch of the Returned Soldiers’ League was represented by Captain E. Browne. The pall-bearers were Lieutenant A.M. Hume and Messrs R.A. Hume, C. Brooks, R. Brooks, J. Brooks, F. Proctor, F. Wilson, and B. Woodhouse. A.A. Sleight Pty Ltd was the undertaker.

The Argus, Fri 23 Jun 1944:

APPROACHING MARRIAGES

CLERICI – JOHNSTON – The marriage of Constance Ruth, only daughter of late Major C.J.E. Clerici, C.I.E., O.B.E., and Mrs C.J. Clerici, Edward st, Sandringham, to Cpl Dion Stuart, RAAF, younger son of Mr and Mrs F.S. Johnston, Savings Bank, Gawler, SA, at All Souls’ Church of England, Bay rd, Sandringham.

The Argus, Sat 24 Jun 1944:

WEDDINGS

JOHNSTON – CLERICI

For her marriage last night at All Saint’s Church of England, Sandringham, to Cpl Dion Stuart Johnston, RAAF, Constance Ruth, only daughter of Mrs Clerici of Sandringham, and the late Maj C.J.E. Clerici, wore a gown of white crepe with Limerick lace veil. The bride-groom, who is youngest son of Mr and Mrs F.S. Johnston, of Gawler, SA, had as best man WO Glen Johnston, AIF, Mrs G.S. Johnston was matron of honour and Miss June Procter was bridesmaid.

The Argus, Mon 14 Jul 1952:

CALLING OLD COBBERS

After 30 years of wondering, Sister Con Clerici, of Gladstone st, Sandringham, now knows where her bridesmaid, Sister Ada Hodson, is living.

“Calling Old Cobbers found Sister Hodson; she is still nursing – in South Africa.

Sister Clerici, who went to India in 1917 with reinforcements for the A.A.N.S., was married in Bombay in 1919, and Sister Hodson was her bridesmaid.

After leaving India, they lost touch with each other.

The day after Sister Clerici’s call for her old friend was published in “Cobbers” column, Mrs Menkes, of Upwey, visited her.

Mrs Menkes, who came to Australia from England four years ago, is Ada Hodson’s sister. She passed on Sister Hodson’s South African address, and a letter from Sister Clerici is on the way.

[nothing more in first article]

• 7 months later...
Guest samwise11

Thankyou very much for this information! A few family members have also found this site and were very impressed with the information that you had!

• 2 months later...

Hello samwise11.

I need to contact you about your Great Grandmother Constance Brooks.

She was one of quite a number of nurses who trained at Bendigo Base Hospital and volunteered to serve with the Australian Army Nursing Service in WWI. I am currently researching all of these nurses for what will probably be a small book to be issued in 2015, the cenentary year of Australia's major involvement in WWI with the landing at Gallipoli followed by many other actions in the years before the end of the war.

Her name is listed on the Bendigo Base Hospital Honour Roll which is now located at the RSL Museum in Pall Mall Bendigo.

Hi Muzz - and welcome to the forum.

Be interested to know if I could purchase a copy of the book when it's published, as I have a huge interest in both the Nurses & Bendigo.

If you get stuck with any of your research, make sure to post your queries on the GWF, 'cos some of us may already have the detail you're after.

Cheers, Frev

PS - When did the RSL Museum acquire the Honour Roll? (Haven't been there for a few years, but I don't recall seeing it - will have to have a look next time I'm up that way)

• 2 months later...

Hi Frev and all,

The book is hopefully going to be released late in 2014 to mark the centenary of the first Bendigo nurses leaving for WWI.

The Bendigo Hospital Nurses Roll of Honour was donated to the RSL Museum in 2008.

I am having trouble finding info on a few nurses and there is going to be media article about the project shortly. The names are:

Home Service Nurses: A McBurney, I McKinnon, R N McKinnon, and L Ward.

Presumably overseas service: I Brown, W Dickson, S Rogers, M Turnbull, H Watson, M Winterbottom, Ethel Mary Woodward and Madelaine Mary Woodward.

I have some likely given names for some of these but some of the other information I have been given does not make sense. I know the Woodward sisters served overseas at the Coulter Hospital (as did another sister Adelaide may Woodward, AANS) but whether they were with the Red Cross or someone else is not clear. There is a record card for Ethel Woodward in the National Archives showing her as French Red Cross Sister, but I cannot confirm that is her.

I have all of the other 60 nurses I needed information for.

Regards

Muzz

Frev,

For what it is worth there is a small amount of info on the FIBIS (Families in British India Society) web site.

Went to paste the link but didn't work, if you google FIBIS the correct site will come up.

Frev,

Here is his entry in 'Who Was Who 1929 - 1940' hope that it helps.

Andy

See following extract from War Services of Officers of the Army 1920 - page 327:

CLERICI C.J.E. (Temp Maj. R.Eng.)

The War 1914-19 - Mesopotamia 2 Dec 14 to 31 Oct 18.

Despatches Lond. Gaz., 12 Mar.18, 27 Aug 18 and 5 June 19. OBE.

Philip

Hi David & Philip - thanks for the extra bits of info - cheers, Frev

Hi Frev and all,

The book is hopefully going to be released late in 2014 to mark the centenary of the first Bendigo nurses leaving for WWI.

The Bendigo Hospital Nurses Roll of Honour was donated to the RSL Museum in 2008.

I am having trouble finding info on a few nurses and there is going to be media article about the project shortly. The names are:

Home Service Nurses: A McBurney, I McKinnon, R N McKinnon, and L Ward.

Presumably overseas service: I Brown, W Dickson, S Rogers, M Turnbull, H Watson, M Winterbottom, Ethel Mary Woodward and Madelaine Mary Woodward.

I have some likely given names for some of these but some of the other information I have been given does not make sense. I know the Woodward sisters served overseas at the Coulter Hospital (as did another sister Adelaide may Woodward, AANS) but whether they were with the Red Cross or someone else is not clear. There is a record card for Ethel Woodward in the National Archives showing her as French Red Cross Sister, but I cannot confirm that is her.

I have all of the other 60 nurses I needed information for.

Regards

Muzz

Hi again Muzz - just came across one of your other posts, (which I've answered) in the VAD topic - small world!

In regard to the Woodward sisters - as soon as I can find the time, I'll put together what I know about the Coulter Hospital & add it to my file on the sisters, and email you a copy (I have your email address already).

Don't have the other ladies in my database - but I'll let you know if I find anything on them.

Cheers, Frev

• 11 years later...
On 30/11/2007 at 16:49, frev said:

Hi Frev. I just stumbled on this thread. Did you eventually find the information you were seeking?  I’m a reasonably close relative. 
Warwick