Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers

haynean

I am researching the military service of my grandfather Private Frank Keeling, 2nd Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He was a regular soldier who was reputedly captured by the Germans very early in the war. I have 2 photo's of him, one in dress uniform (undated) presumably pre-war, and one studio picture in service dress which I think is from 1917 and I have his British War Medal. The later photo is a picture postcard size but interestingly is printed onto enamel. I have an undated letter which Frank sent home from Munster II (Rennbahn) PoW camp and a postcard photo from his brother to Frank at Rennbahn. His brother was also in the RDF's and this undated card is signed 'Sgt. Harry Keeling 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, No. 4 Group, Scheveringen, Holland.

I have searched many of the on-line sources of information, including TNA, the Long Long Trail, the Behind the Wire database etc. I also searched for Frank's service record at TNA but it seems to have been among those destroyed. I have a copy of his medal card which simply says 'PoW'. He did not receive a war pension so I was unable to find any information from that source. I am aware that his Battalion's first action was at Le Cateau and that they suffered many casualties there. I have obtained quite a bit of information on conditions at Rennbahn at certain times from other soldiers testimonies in the files at TNA.

What I would particularly like to find out is: 1. When did Frank Keeling enlist? 2. What actions was he involved in? 3. When and where was he captured? 4. What camps was he imprisoned in apart from Rennbahn? 5. What were conditions like in those camps? 6. Why was his brother writing from Holland - was he interned there or part of a prisoner exchange?

I would be grateful for any leads or advice that anyone can offer, particularly if you have covered the same ground. I am considering submitting an enquiry to the Red Cross in respect of Pow records and/or asking a private researcher to look for the 2nd Battalion War Diaries which unfortunately do not seem to be online.

Any help gratefully received.

AMH.

I am researching the military service of my grandfather Private Frank Keeling, 2nd Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He was a regular soldier who was reputedly captured by the Germans very early in the war. I have 2 photo's of him, one in dress uniform (undated) presumably pre-war, and one studio picture in service dress which I think is from 1917 and I have his British War Medal. The later photo is a picture postcard size but interestingly is printed onto enamel. I have an undated letter which Frank sent home from Munster II (Rennbahn) PoW camp and a postcard photo from his brother to Frank at Rennbahn. His brother was also in the RDF's and this undated card is signed 'Sgt. Harry Keeling 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, No. 4 Group, Scheveringen, Holland.

I have searched many of the on-line sources of information, including TNA, the Long Long Trail, the Behind the Wire database etc. I also searched for Frank's service record at TNA but it seems to have been among those destroyed. I have a copy of his medal card which simply says 'PoW'. He did not receive a war pension so I was unable to find any information from that source. I am aware that his Battalion's first action was at Le Cateau and that they suffered many casualties there. I have obtained quite a bit of information on conditions at Rennbahn at certain times from other soldiers testimonies in the files at TNA.

What I would particularly like to find out is: 1. When did Frank Keeling enlist? 2. What actions was he involved in? 3. When and where was he captured? 4. What camps was he imprisoned in apart from Rennbahn? 5. What were conditions like in those camps? 6. Why was his brother writing from Holland - was he interned there or part of a prisoner exchange?

I would be grateful for any leads or advice that anyone can offer, particularly if you have covered the same ground. I am considering submitting an enquiry to the Red Cross in respect of Pow records and/or asking a private researcher to look for the 2nd Battalion War Diaries which unfortunately do not seem to be online.

Any help gratefully received.

AMH.

Hi AMH,

Have you tried the RDFA? The website is www.greatwar.ie If anyone can point you in the right direction its those lads.

Hi AMH,

Have you tried the RDFA? The website is www.greatwar.ie If anyone can point you in the right direction its those lads.

[/quote

Hello, and thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I have found their website and also royaldublinfusiliers.com which both provide quite a bit of background inormation.

Regards

AMH

• 4 years later...

AMH,

While doing some searches for another topic -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177085&st=0&p=1723945&fromsearch=1entry1723945

I also found mention of your grandfather 11365 Private Frank Keeling reported missing, along with a large list of Royal Dublin Fusiliers, in the Times edition of 14th November 1914. This does seem to be a list of missing after Le Cateau. Coincidentally your grandfather was 11365 RDF while the man in the other topic was 11364 RDF.

John

Frank enlisted mid August 1912 to the 2nd Battalion. He was captured at Ligny on 27th August 1914.

VM/BWM roll input:

204139910c7463_l.jpg

His contact address 1914:

204139936e9820_l.jpg

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Noor