Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF fitter April 1918 - Feb 1919

Mike Cross

This is a copy of a 'Certificate of Employment During the War' of a man whose Medal Index Card includes mention of service in the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry, Labour Corps, RFC and RAF. I have no idea of the nature of his injury/illness but he received a pension of £1-6-5d a week for 30% disability for himself, wife and seven children. Sadly he seems to have only drawn three weekly instalments.

Not entirely clear, but it looks like it might say 48TDS. Anybody know what this may represent ?

Mike

post-10-1196366474.jpg

His RAF records will be in AIR79/1673 (Scope and content 185001 - 185084). You can order a copy from shop online: the copy service is not closing. These are original documents that are too large to copy straight off at Kew now.

Thanks per adua ... my first experience with a RFC/RAF man. My next visit to Kew is not due until Spring 2008 so this will need to wait a little while. As I mentioned the MIC includes mention of service in the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry, Labour Corps, and the RFC; and also the Devonshire Regiment which I omitted. The RAF is not recorded on the MIC. The only photo is of him in his OBLI uniform. With his 30% disability it is maybe a suprising end to his military career but presumably his skills as a Fitter overcame this handicap.

TDS = training depot station. Page & Sturtivant 'Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units.'

The RAF MICs haven't been released yet. It would seem to be a good way to keep him in war work, presumably they spotted his skills in the Labour Corps.

No 48 Training Depot Station at Waddington came under No 12 (Training) Group RAF, and was formed from Nos 44, 47, 48, 51 and 117 Training Squadrons.

Regards

Gareth