Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish War Memorials

Alastair

My great-uncle was Lt. Daniel Martin TAYLOR who was killed at Gully Ravine, Gallipoli on 28th June 1915 aged 20 yrs. His home was Chislehurst, 19 Newlands Road, Glasgow. He served with B Company, 1/7th Scottish Rifles (Cameronians).

I have searched the Imperial War Museum/Channel 4 search sites for where he may feature on any war memorial in the Glasgow area but with no success.

The Scottish Rifles have a war memorial in Glasgow but it does not list names - he does feature in the memorial books at Edinburgh Castle and the Scottish Rifles Musuem but I wanted to know if there existed in Glasgow an actual War Memorial listing his name.

Any help would be appreciated - it seems that there are very few Scottish War Memorials listed on websites including the names of those commemorated.

That was quick - will have a look - thanks

Details

Surname TAYLOR

Firstname D M

Service Number

Date Death 28/06/1915

Decoration

Place of birth Glasgow

Other 7th Bn.

SNWM roll THE CAMERONIANS (SCOTTISH RIFLES)

Rank Lieut

Theatre of death Dardanelles.

He should be on one of the Glasgow Memorials.

Do you know if/which University he was at?

Aye

Malcolm

He did not make it to University but was educated at Glasgow High School

So he should be on Glasgow High Memorial. Worth a call to the school.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks - will do

Alastair,

I work fairly regularly in the High School of Glasgow and will be back there in January. The school has a memorial and also a Book of Remembrance in a glass cabinet which has a page with photograph dedicated to each ex-pupil. I'll try to get photos next time I'm there if you like.

Alastair

I have a copy of the Glasgow High School Roll of Honour.

The entry is as follows

Lieutenant D. Martin Taylor 7th Scottish Rifles 28th of June 1915

Lieutenant Taylor was the second son of Mr John E. taylor , Chislehurst, Newlands. On leaving the High School he decided to adopt the army as a rpofession and was gazetted Second Lieutenant in December 1912. Shortly after the outbreak of war he was promoted to Lieutenant. He went with the Scottish Rifles to Gallipoli and after the engaement of June 1915 was reported missing. Now "through lapse of time" he has been officially reported killed onthat date. He was twenty two years old.

The picture in the roll is exactly the same as the one you have as a avatar. I would say for sure that he is on the High School Memorial.

regards Hambo

• 3 months later...

His obituary was published in the Glasgow Evening Times issue dated 8 Jul 1915 along with a photograph.

He should be entered on the Glasgow Roll of Honour which is in the entrance to City Chambers on George Square. Unfortunately the cabinet was locked and the books of remebrance closed when I visited recently, but I took some photos of the memorial which you can see here " target="_blank">Scottish War Memorials Forum

\Spoons

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone - a great response, it has been a lot of help