Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

richardp@comsine.co.uk

Hi all

Earlier today I posted a new topic asking for information about my great uncle Ernest Gibson who was killed in April 1918 while serving with the 12th Royal Irish Rifles. Desmond has since kindly given me some great information about the battle he was killed in.

However, I have posted a new topic because I understand that in fact Ernest started with the 12th London Regiment as 7326 renumbered as 5246, and was sent as part of a draft (68 men) to the 13th Royal Irish Rifles as 13/43669. Does anyone know when this transfer of men took place or how I could find out?

Subsequently I know from Lester Morrow in an email exchange a while back that the 13th Battalion was amalgamated with the 11th in November 1917 due to casualties sustained at the battle of Langemarck (I believe Ernest was wounded at this on the 16th August). This amalgamated battalion was then disbanded in February 1918 due to the reorganisation of the army and most of the men, including Ernest, were sent to the 12th Battalion.

If I know the dates he was with the London Regiment, then with the 13th RIR and then with the 12th RIR, I can work out which War Diaries, etc. to look for from the relevant regiments.

Any help/ideas gratefully received.

Richard

• 4 years later...

looking fr information on James Mcbride, born 1893 in Portaferry, Co. Down, served with Royal Irish Rifles and was injured on the Somme.

Hi Hexam, welcome to forum, i think you have to start a new Topic on the right, with name of James McBride in topic and then members

can see what help you need, i have sent Admin a PM so they can help, Goodluck with info.

Walter

Richard, had a look in my files for Ernest but no luck, hopefully someone will come along with info.

Walter

Hexham and Richard

I will check my newspaper pictures library to see if I have anything on these two men.

Nigel

Welcome back Nigel, did you get me a rock?. i have just noticed after i posted, Richard's post was 2007 better late than never.

Walter

A great uncle of mine,Reg Howship ,a bank clerk,also served with 12th Londons and 13th RIR.He attested 9.12.15 for 9th Londons-Q.Victoria's Rifles.He was mobilised 18.5.16 and sent to Q.V.R's training battalion-the 3rd.His serial no. was 6099.He went to France via Le Havre 24.10.16 and was immediately transferred to the 1/12th Londons,the Rangers.Shortly afterwards,17.11.16 he was atttached to 13th R.I.Rifles ,and formally transferred 26.12.16.He was now Rifleman 13/43638.The Ulster Division had suffered heavy losses at the beginning of the Somme campaign.As conscription was never introduced to Ireland,for political reasons,numbers now had to be made up with Englishmen.Reg served with the Irish battalion for a year,before being accepted for officer training.He was commsisioned into the East Surrey Regiment,in spite of terrible eyesight(6/60!),and won an M.C.The abovedetails have been gleaned chiefly from his WO374 file as an officer.

Michael