Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Buckland Wheeler

holwellfrost

Hi I am very new to this.

I am trying to find out about my Grandfather, Frank Buckland Wheeler, who served in W W 1. My problem is that I don't know what Regiment he served with. I have a photo of him but it doesn't show anything obvious that could help me identify his Regiment, he is not wearing a cap and I can't see any insignia. He was wounded by shrapnel to his right arm resulting in amputation. I know for certain he received a Pension but I have not been able to find his details on Ancestry.

Please can you tell me if all Soldiers details are now on view at Ancestry or will there be more added in the future ?

I am desperate to find his details and don't know what to do next.

Thanks,

Ellen.

The "Pension Papers" on Ancestry are incomplete in so far as being a full series of Pension records. They are a selection of papers from various sources that escaped the firebombing of the main batch of service records in 1940. All the "Pension" papers have been put online - though there are not necessarily papers for all that got pensions, nor are all the papers related solely to pensions.

The "Burnt Series" have only A-C online, so Frank Wheelers papers may be in that series and not yet online. Only 30% of those papers survive.

Steve.

Thankyou both, Kevin & Steve.

My Grandfather was living in Gloucestershire I believe when he joined up/conscripted or whatever. I have viewed the MIC's before of the two you gave a link for but I'm not certain that either of them are his. Frank was born in 1880 so was in his mid thirties when the War started, he died in 1956 aged 74 yrs. I would like very much to find out all I can on him, I feel I owe it to him, the War ruined his life, his relationship with his Wife and two Daughter's, he lost everything and them.

Ellen.

dont think he is part of our family 'Wiltshire Wheelers' that said, when I was an apprentice there were two of us and a foreman, none were related to the other, on the other hand there were around a dozen of our family working in the same factory at one time, but I digress.

will have another look at our side.

Hi I am very new to this.

I am trying to find out about my Grandfather, Frank Buckland Wheeler, who served in W W 1. My problem is that I don't know what Regiment he served with. I have a photo of him but it doesn't show anything obvious that could help me identify his Regiment, he is not wearing a cap and I can't see any insignia. He was wounded by shrapnel to his right arm resulting in amputation. I know for certain he received a Pension but I have not been able to find his details on Ancestry.

Please can you tell me if all Soldiers details are now on view at Ancestry or will there be more added in the future ?

I am desperate to find his details and don't know what to do next.

Thanks,

Ellen.

Hi Ellen, If you know where your grandfather was living at the time of the Great War I would suggest thst you contact the Record Office in that area to see whether they hold newspapers from that time and ask whether anyone has indexed them. Photographs and reports appeared in the newspaper at that time for all sorts of reasons and they are by no means all casualties. You might also ask whether they have Absent Voter registers for 1919 which give army number and Regiment, but it is possible that he was already back home then if he had been injured. It is worth a look. Good luck. Sue S.

Thankyou Sue & Chaz for your messages and help.

One of Frank's Brother's, Albert Edward was in the Wiltshire Regiment. My Wheeler's originated from Oxfordshire and in the early 1900's lived at Wiggold near Cirencester and then Sudgrove, Miserden, near Stroud, Gloucestershire.

Ellen.

Please can someone help ?

I have a photo of my Grandfather in Army Uniform, would a Uniform have a number printed/embossed on/above the top right hand breast pocket ? because I think there is a number there, is that a usual feature on a standard W W 1 Uniform and if so what would it symbolize ?

Thanks,

Ellen.

Ellen

could you post a image of the photo, that would help.

Regards Kevin

Ellen

You cannot put files bigger than 100k on the forum, the easy way to reduce the file is open the photo with paint and then in to image and then resize and then redue the size.

Regards Kevin

Ellen

Wonderful photo.

You are correct there does seem to be some markings above his pocket, i know nothing at all re uniform's. Could i say that if you posted the photo on the Uniform,arms,equipment section of the forum, you will get more of a response than just leaving under this heading.

Sorry i cannot be of more help.

Regards Kevin

Ellen,

Get your son to scan the photo at a high resolution, you should be able to blow it up and read it

Hth

Grant

Hi and Thankyou for taking the time to look and help me. I am very fortunate to have this photo and have gone to a lot of trouble to get it, as far as I know there isn't another original. My Mother was Adopted and the photo is of her Birth Parent's, a long story ! I am very proud of my Grandfather and will never forget his contribution to the War. I just wish I could of known him, alas I was born too late !

I will do what you've suggested Kevin, probably tomorrow now.

Many thanks to all,

Regards,

Ellen.