Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt H G Harper

IAN HARPER

My father flew AW FK8s with 35 Squadron between 9th August and 27 October 1918. He was just 19 at the time. He survived the war but like many others never spoke much about it. He was shot down ( by groundfire I seem to recall him saying) with the bullet passing through his observers thigh (2 Lt E J Richardson) before going into his back. Richardson died of the wound and my father force landed luckily on the British side. His log book reports Englefontaine district on this last active flight and there is a mark on his flight mapboard by a village called Breville. He was flying out of Elincourt at the time.

Was this where he crash landed?

My mother told me he had been mentioned in Despatches. What does this mean

Can anyone help with any information please.

I have his photo album and some of his technical books covering engines and fuselages from that time. Whilst I will not part with them, I would be happy to help anyone if I can.

Ian Harper

Ian

Welcome to the forum.

Would your father have been Horace George Harper? There's a medal index card here that can be downloaded for £3.50 - perhaps it's his.

That might keep you going until one of the resident Air Force experts pops in later.

In fact, check out this post from a few years ago, which refers to him.

Welcome to the forum Ian

Your father's RAF record of service is offline at Kew in AIR 76, you will have to follow the researching a soldier section on the Long Long Trail to find his army records.

Mentioned In Dispatches means that he had a commendation in a report by a senior officer. If the medal index card is correct, it might have the reference to the date that took place as he should have been issued with an oak leaf to go on his Victory Medal.

My father flew AW FK8s with 35 Squadron between 9th August and 27 October 1918. He was just 19 at the time. He survived the war but like many others never spoke much about it. He was shot down ( by groundfire I seem to recall him saying) with the bullet passing through his observers thigh (2 Lt E J Richardson) before going into his back. Richardson died of the wound and my father force landed luckily on the British side. His log book reports Englefontaine district on this last active flight and there is a mark on his flight mapboard by a village called Breville. He was flying out of Elincourt at the time.

Was this where he crash landed?

My mother told me he had been mentioned in Despatches. What does this mean

Can anyone help with any information please.

I have his photo album and some of his technical books covering engines and fuselages from that time. Whilst I will not part with them, I would be happy to help anyone if I can.

Ian Harper