Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD - Where was it exactly?

Gunner Bailey

As I understand it the main supply depot for the western front - the famous SRD, was somewhere in Deptford or Greenwich. Does anyone know exactly where? What road etc?

I think there were 5 depots nationwide for WW2. Was the WW1 depot one of them?

Gunner Bailey

It occupied the site of the old Foreign Cattle Market in Deptford. I think they closed just before or at the beginning of the 1st WW when it was hit by a zeppelin bomb. I think bombed again in the 2nd. The site was built over - as Convoys Wharf in the 1980s. The site has undergone further redevelopment since.

The site generally - largely between Evelyn Street and the Thames - is a very old one, having been a royal dockyard since medieval times. Unfortunately many of the older buildings (including a magnificent tudor storage 'barn') were pulled down in the ?1950s - where were the planning / heritage protection laws then one might ask !!!

This is all off the top of my head at the moment but there is quite a lot on this site - which I can't access right now I'm afraid.

Julian

It occupied the site of the old Foreign Cattle Market in Deptford. I think they closed just before or at the beginning of the 1st WW when it was hit by a zeppelin bomb. I think bombed again in the 2nd. The site was built over - as Convoys Wharf in the 1980s. The site has undergone further redevelopment since.

The site generally - largely between Evelyn Street and the Thames - is a very old one, having been a royal dockyard since medieval times. Unfortunately many of the older buildings (including a magnificent tudor storage 'barn') were pulled down in the ?1950s - where were the planning / heritage protection laws then one might ask !!!

This is all off the top of my head at the moment but there is quite a lot on this site - which I can't access right now I'm afraid.

Julian

Julian

That's excellent. I'll have a look at the map and see if there is any logical site shown. I know parts of the area well but have not been around Evelyn Street on foot for 30 years.

Gunner Bailey

GB

as i said, i can't do it at the mo but if you look at the relevant OS map editions of eg 1894, 1916 etc (respectively for For Cattle Mkt and RSD) you should be able to pinpoint it against a modern map, but be warned - the landscape and conditions around there has greatly changed

J

Please find 1899 and 2000 map of that area.

John

John

Very many thanks for the maps. I'll now sort out some time to visit, though I doubt if there is anything left. Maybe an outer dock wall.

Gunner Bailey

GB

as i said, i can't do it at the mo but if you look at the relevant OS map editions of eg 1894, 1916 etc (respectively for For Cattle Mkt and RSD) you should be able to pinpoint it against a modern map, but be warned - the landscape and conditions around there has greatly changed

J

Thanks Julian

The help I've had so far has been great. Much appreciated.

GB