Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Ships' Crests

chris basey

Could anyone please suggest sources of illustrations of WW1 Ships' Crests?

There are good books on the subject in general but it is very easy to get it wrong because the designs changed over the years. It is also difficult to find anything at all for ships that were lost during the war and whose name was not significant enough to be attached to a new vessel.

I am hoping to find the WW1 crests of:

HMS Hamilcar, HMS Exmoor, HMS Arethusa, HMS Barham, HMS glory, HMS Racoon, HMS Invincible, HMS Nicator, HMS Imogen, HMS Ivanhoe and HMS Spey.

Men from these ships are commemorated on the war memorials that I am currently researching and any help would be appreciated and add detail to their biographies.

Thank you

Chris

Contact the RN Museum at Portsmouth Dockyard, don't know the exact address, they may well have some info.

I have a copy of the modern Invincible's crest, and several others, mostly Naval Air Squadrons I served on.

Regards

John Milner

Chris,

The best reference that I know of for these unoffical ships badges are the old cigarette cards and silks. Ship's badges did not become offical until 1919 when the first ones were submitted for approval.

Arthur

• 5 weeks later...