Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

32nd Training Reserve Battn.

Susan Haselden

Any idea where this battalion was stationed in September 1916. My grandfather was transferred there (very indistinct on his burnt record) from 16th Middlesex after returning sick from the Western Front.

Thanks for confirming this, Mark. I had gone into the link but was thrown by the fact that it says the 32nd was the Royal Fusiliers. Gdad had a chequered career, first as a groom in the Remount Depot, then entering France with the 16th Middx. Next came the 32nd and the last entry on his record I think says Middx D and perhaps the name of the place, but indecipherable, on 1.3.1917. He was discharged in May 1917 sick. His Victory and British War medals were from Middx Regiment at Hanwell for Remount and 16th Mixx. His War Badge is also Middx, but Hounslow, and says unit discharged from was `Depot'. Did they chop and change regiments?

Also do you have any idea what he would have done in 32nd for 6 months? Any info would make my 85 year old Dad very happy. I am fast becoming hooked as well.......

Regards, Susan.