Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

london irish rifles

matt.buck1

Andy,

the "sweetheart" brooch that your grandmother is wearing looks like a cap badge, white metal version, with a pin having been attached and the slider possibly having been removed.

Matt,

These all come from my family, as stated in an earlier post, recently (this year) a large amount of photographs of the family on my mothers side have come to light after having been hidden away in a loft for many years. There are many many more pictures of the three Macey boys and I will be going down to Sussex early in the new year to sort them all out. If there are any more of Jack and Bert and the LIR I will see about placing them here for you.

Andy

Matt - do you know what your relative looked like? I ask because I have a number of group photos of LIR, but none taken in France when your relative was there.

The LIR 'Museum' has only limited archives and no named groups of photos as far as I remember. When they were at Duke of Yorks I went there several times on 'Loos Day'. Not sure where they are now, as that area has been redeveloped I believe?

Well he was 36 went he was called up so fairly old and I believe he was a farrier working with the horses as that was his family trade in London, he used to sell horse meat as cat food on sticks!

No, I have never been to the LIR museum, to be honest until recently I never knew that I had relations that served in the LIR never having done the family history thing, although I knew my fathers side from the Life Guards well as I took my first battlefield trips with my fathers father and knew my grandfather on that side of the family very well (see signature).

Ironic really, my grandfather on my fathers side served the whole war alongside his brother from 12/8/14 to the end, my grandfathers brother died shortly after the war from an illness and is buried in Brompton cemetery, he was one of the first recipients of the Military Medal and my father and his brother were named after him. Lots of pictures of the two of them also, in the 2nd Life Guards and Guards Machine Gun Regiment but Jack and Bert Macey I am still finding out about, obviously knew about Frank (my grandfather).

Andy

Best time to see the LIR museum would be one of the "parade"days when there will usually be people on hand after the parade to answer questions.

Parades are held as follows:

St Patrick's Day

Loos Sunday ( nearest Sunday to 25th September)

Remembrance Day

Parade at 10.30 am in each case.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to going down to Sussex to sort all the pictures out, especially now as apparently with all the photographs is Bert's personal War Diary for the whole war, personal letters and paperwork, I cannot believe it. This has been hidden away for many many years, decades, in the loft of a relative who recently has been very seriously ill.

Andy

• 1 year later...
Matt - do you know what your relative looked like? I ask because I have a number of group photos of LIR, but none taken in France when your relative was there.

The LIR 'Museum' has only limited archives and no named groups of photos as far as I remember. When they were at Duke of Yorks I went there several times on 'Loos Day'. Not sure where they are now, as that area has been redeveloped I believe?

I know its been a long time but I have finally found a picture of my great grandfather from around 1909. I have also just taken possession of his medals that were lost withing the family.

I know its been a long time but I have finally found a picture of my great grandfather from around 1909. I have also just taken possession of his medals that were lost withing the family.

Can anyone tell me where the regiment was on the 31/5/17? He was badly wounded on that day.

post-28252-1256023866.jpg