Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody take a guess at the unit

andiS

To be fair to Stebie who always produces a good package, this game is never as simple as it seems and without the relevent service documents it's a guessing game based on the relevent information that you have to hand. I actually collect Discharge Certificates and other such documents and it never ceases to surprise me who they served in when reading the section Also served in. If your lucky enough to find services papers then its a real eye opener and an added bonus to what seems like a non-descript bit of paper.

Recently I got a nice one to a lad who been conscripted for the 2/1st Hunts Cyclists, was transferred 5th Labour Bn, then 25th Training Res Bn, then Inland Waterways & Docks, R.E. and finally 1st(Res)Garrison Bn, Suffolk Regt. All that was on the Certificate was the Hunts C.B., Training Res, IWD,R.E. and Suffolks. The 5th Labour Bn only appears on his service papers and was quite a surprise. Nor does he have a Medal Index Card as he never served overseas as he was medically assessed as BII.

Anyway it is late now, but I think in late 1917 you have a hotch potch coming together in the 10th Notts & Derby's and your man seems to be one of them.

Graham.

The thick plottens...

I've got more information on this side of the family and Fred had an older brother, John. A MIC search shows a John Osgood who was a corporal in the London Regt so perhaps the photo was mis-identified as Fred when in fact it's his brother.

And John Osgood's number 391389,

Medal card of Osgood, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

London Regiment 4199 Corporal

London Regiment 391389 Corporal

belongs to the 9th Battalion of the London Regiment - a.k.a The Queen Victoria's Rifles :D

http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm

Steve.

Well thats at least one definate i.d. confirmed via our combined efforts.

Graham.

No guessing dates of embarkation with the London regiment, Andy. Their medal rolls include dates of transfer from unit to unit....

Steve.