Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tolkien and the Great War

George Armstrong Custer

I wonder if anyone here has read the recent Tolkien and the Great War, and if so could give a review of it. Having seen it in the shops, I am thinking of buying a copy as a means of getting a handle on the man and what influenced his work. Frankly I am a complete novice when in comes to Hobbits or the Ring cycle, having read none of the books, and only seen the final movie in the trilogy recently with my children (stunning movie, btw!). I thought the Great War angle might be a useful way of introducing myself to what the fuss is all about in an (to me) interesting way.

Ciao,

GAC

I wonder if anyone here has read the recent Tolkien and the Great War, and if so could give a review of it. Having seen it in the shops, I am thinking of buying a copy as a means of getting a handle on the man and what influenced his work. Frankly I am a complete novice when in comes to Hobbits or the Ring cycle, having read none of the books, and only seen the final movie in the trilogy recently with my children (stunning movie, btw!). I thought the Great War angle might be a useful way of introducing myself to what the fuss is all about in an (to me) interesting way.

Hi

Sorry haven't read this book so can't offer any advice on that. However, I have read The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings and seen all three movies (several times). Whilst my personal impression of the books is excellent I also love the movies and can see relation to the Great War, especially in the second film The Two Towers where Frodo, Sam & Gollum/Smeagol are making their way through the dead marshes, even the battle scenes have some feeling toward it.

All I can say is, if you enjoyed Return of the King, it is well worth reading the books as they contain a staggering amount of details and also seeing Fellowship & Two Towers, although Return of the King is by far the best.

Can't you tell i'm a Tolkien fan :D

Dee

You can see a review of the book at the Amazon website:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/store...#06183312987299

I definitely see a link between Return of the King and WWI. I find the whole last scene with Frodo and Sam where they are surrounded by lifeless, smoking wastleland reminds me of the battlefield pictures you see of WWI. Frodo and Sam had a growing awareness that they probably weren't going to get out of this alive. I'm sure that Tolkien had to have been greatly influenced by that war.

Vee

Many thanks Dee and Vee (just as well I didn't type that the other way round!) :)

I think I'll buy a copy of this book - it seems an off beat way of approaching the Great War and will serve as a first intro for me to Tokien the man. The kids have seen the first two movies as well as the last, and they too reckon the last to be the best. Having only seen the last, I was a bit at sea as to who was who and to what purpose. I never read the books - the nearest I got, I guess, was the work of Alan Garner........

Ciao,

GAC

Good and well researched section about Tolkien's Great War expereiences and the lives and deaths of his great friends. But, a great deal about philology and T's creation of imaginary languages etc which clearly the author is extremely knowledgable about. For full enjoyment I think you have to be extremely keen about (what I think one of T's fellow university colleagues called "blody elves" and all that goes with them. I'm not knocking it but its very hard going in places.

Hope this helps

(what I think one of T's fellow university colleagues called "blody elves" and all that goes with them.

I think it was Tolkien's publisher, on being offered yet another tome in MS, who sighed, 'Not another bloody elf.'

I may be wrong. It happened once.

Gwyn

PS Crystal ball moment: Gwyn foresees an outbreak of babies called Samwise, Frodo and Bilbo or whatever.

PPS I think they are the most boring books ever published. :ph34r:

I always thought it was C S Lewis, and when T' got wind of it it was the begining of the end of their friendship- if it wasn't him, it should have been.

Gwyn,

Yes, his books are pretty dull, but not as tedious as Birdsong!

Personally, I began to seriously doubt Tolkien's literary abilities when I read that he hated CS Lewis' Narnia books... The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Surely, one of the greatest books ever written?

Regards

AGWR