Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruitment under the Derby Scheme

IanR

During research in a local paper on men joining the forces during the war, there are several who are said to joined up under the Darby Scheme.

Can anyone shed light on what the Darby Scheme was? From the limited info I have it would appear something that was operating in 1915, prior to the introduction of conscription?

The Derby scheme was initiated against the background of the debate that was being conducted about the possibility conscription. In July 1915 the National Registration Act was passed empowering the Local Government Board to compile a detailed register of all persons between the ages of fifteen and sixty-five. Registration day was 15th August 1915 and the details of all men of military age (18-40) were transferred to a pink form. Those men employed in essential work had a black star placed on their forms. Just over 2,000 000 were found to be available for military service who had not yet volunteered.

Prime Minister, Herbert Asquith was not convinced of the need for conscription, and in a last attempt to continue with voluntary service, persuaded Lord Kitchener that one further effort for voluntary recruting was needed. This was known as the Derby Scheme after Lord Derby who was appointed civilian Director-General of Recruiting. Paradoxically, Lord Derby had been a supporter of conscription for many years.

Using the results of the National Registration Act, a personal canvass of all men of military age was initiated in October 1915. These men were invited to come forward to attest their willingness to serve when required. Those who did were placed into groups according to age and marital staus. A protest by married men, brought about an understanding that single men who volunteered under this scheme, would be called up first.

The scheme was organised at local level and local authorities were instructed to set up tribunals to hear the cases of men who were willing to attest, but wished to postpone their call up on the grounds of essential work or personal hardship. There was no exemption from service for these volunteers, only a postponement of their call up date. The Derby Scheme was intended to end on 12 December 1915 and Lord Derby's report to the Cabinet a few days later showed that although just over a million men had come forward, voluntary recruiting had not maximized the reserve of manpower for military service. This should also be seen against the background the the Inter-allied Military Conference at Chantilly, on 6 December, which recommended that Germany-Austria should be subjected to offensive operations with maximum force in 1916, and the following day an acknowledgement that Gallipoli campaign had failed.

Terry Reeves

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for that,Terry.

I was interested to see the date that the scheme was supposed to end.

It was 2 days after my Great Grandad attested under the scheme,on December the 10th.

He probably would have been called up any way,even though he was 30 years old and married with 3 kids and one on the way.

All the best.

Simon.

Peter

Not as far as I am aware. There was an administrative clear out in 1919 -20 when the Local Govenment Board was superseded by the newly formed Ministry of Health. A few local authorities kept some papers relating to to the National Registration Act, but not lists of names as far as I know.

Terry Reeves

Terry,

Thanks for that. As you can see I am an eternal optimist when it comes to WW1 research B)

Peter

hoping another door was slightly ajar if not open ;)