Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sailors Died In The Great War

Ian C

I have, at last, a copy of Soldiers Died, but is there anything similar for sailors. I now believe that one of the men I am researching is Allan John Claridge, who was a Cooks Mate 2nd Class, on HMS Pembroke, and who died on 1/4/16 and is buried in Gillingham. CWGC site does not contain any information that allows me to definately lay claim to him as my man, so need to look elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Regards

IanC

Ian

I know this man.......... :D

Here's all the infomation I have on him.

Cooks Mate Second Class Allan John Claridge M/19361

H.M.S. Pembroke, Royal Navy.

Died of Pneumonia Saturday 1st April 1916 Age 19.

Buried Gillingham Woodlands Cemetery, Kent. Grave Reference Naval 23.1202.

Commemorated on the Bow Brickhill Memorial.

Youngest Son of William & Elizabeth Claridge of Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire.

Allan Claridge was born in Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire in the December quarter of 1896 to William & Elizabeth Claridge. William Claridge, born in 1854 was a native of Wavendon & a Grocer & Baker by profession. His mother Elizabeth was born in Bow Brickhill in 1853 & Allan was her fifth child. Allan Claridge had two elder sisters, Edith who was a Draper & Ethel who was the next youngest & three years older. He also had two elder brothers, William & George.

Allan Claridge joined the Navy in February 1916 & was sent to the training establishment H.M.S. Pembroke, situated at the Royal Naval Barracks at Chatham. Shortly after entering the service, Allan Clariage was admitted to the Naval Hospital Chatham suffering from pneumonia & a nervous breakdown. He was transferred to the Gillingham hospital but died there at 3.15am on Saturday 1st April 1916.

Sources for this information:

Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt of Honour Register.

The National Roll Of The Great War 1914-1918, Bedfordshire, Northants & North Bucks Edition.

North Bucks Times & County Observer, Fenny Stratford Edition – 4th April 1916.

1901 Census of England & Wales Online.

FreeBMD.rootsweb.com

The photo was kindly taken for me by Jon a.k.a Signals in the summer on one of his trips to the Woodlands Cemetery

Is this the first case of someone actually knowing all about a person someone else is interested in, without doing any new research?

Considering the number of people involved in the war, it seems fairly unlikely that someone else here has already researched someone, unless maybe he's a general etc!

Is this the first case of someone actually knowing all about a person someone else is interested in, without doing any new research?

Considering the number of people involved in the war, it seems fairly unlikely that someone else here has already researched someone, unless maybe he's a general etc!

Christine...............I would like to say that it's just a wonderful coincidence........ However the truth of it is that Ian & I don't live all that far apart from each other. Bow Brickhill where Ian is from & Water Eaton where I live a probably less than 2 miles apart as the crow flies..............My main interest in the Great War is researching the memorials in the local vicinity & I have done research on approximately 30 or so, one of which is the Bow Brickhill memorial. It's just lucky that I have a significant amount of info on this chap..................sometimes information is scarce indeed or non existent.