Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Coath

RFT

The SS Coath was lost as a consequence of mine explosion on 13th December 1916. Some 16 crew members perished with her. I have obtained the names of the crew from the CWGC but would welcome a photograph of the ship and her crew. Any other information would also be most welcome.

Can anyone help?

Rob

The SS Coath was lost as a consequence of mine explosion on 13th December 1916. Some 16 crew members perished with her. I have obtained the names of the crew from the CWGC but would welcome a photograph of the ship and her crew. Any other information would also be most welcome.

Can anyone help?

Rob

Rob

FYI - Submarine A9 sank off Plymouth when rammed by the "Coath". A9 managed to resurface but in 1908 petrol fumes killed four of her crew.

still looking for pictures!

WROATH, William. Able Seaman. Mercantile Marine. SS Coath (Penzance). Lost at sea on active service 13th December 1916 age 33. Son of William and Annie Wroath; husband of Mary Wroath (nee Polglans) of Vanguard House, Mousehole, Penzance. Listed on Tower Hill Memorial, London and on Mousehole Methodist Church War Memorial. SS Coath was presumed sunk by a mine in the English Channel. Sixteen of the crew, including the Master, were lost.

Paul

Can anyone help?

Rob

hi rob, try this link for info,

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/Marin...6-04/1144694623 she was sunk by ub38 on the reports on rootsweb, also there is a photo out there , tony

just found her try this link with photo, http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/coath.htm

Paul at birchp

Your message was certainly surprise news.

In addition to the Coath and her crew I am now looking for a photo of Submarine A9!

You have specifically mentioned A/S/ Wroath! Are you in any way connected to this man? Do you have a photograph of him?

Many thanks

Rob

Hello tonyblackpool

Re : SS Coath

Thankyou very much for the lead. I'll check it out.

Regards

Rob

Paul at birchp

In addition to the Coath and her crew I am now looking for a photo of Submarine A9!

You have specifically mentioned A/S/ Wroath! Are you in any way connected to this man? Do you have a photograph of him?

Many thanks

Rob

Rob

Re: Wroath log onto and scroll down to name

http://www.paulchurch.co.uk/memorials.htm

Paul

"WROATH, William. Able Seaman. Mercantile Marine. SS Coath (Penzance). Lost at sea on active service 13th December 1916 age 33. Son of William and Annie Wroath; husband of Mary Wroath (nee Polglans) of Vanguard House, Mousehole, Penzance."

That should be Mary Wroath nee POLGLASE.

Kath.

(of Mousehole origin)

Hello Kath

Re : SS "Coath"

Thanks for the information and confirmation of Mary nee Polglase. Are you related to A/S Wroath, if so do you have a photo of him or Mrs wroath or indeed the ship? Before WW1, S.S. "Coath" regularly plied between Penzance and London. She was one of the ships belonging to the Little Western Steam Ship Co, operated by George P. Bazeley of Penzance.

Regards

Rob

Re : SS Coath

Thanks for that Kath. I must look for a copy.

Incidentally I know the location very well. A beautiful part of Mousehole.

Regards

Rob

• 2 years later...
Guest southernjoyce1
Paul at birchp

Many thanks

Rob

Looking through Great War Forum i spotted your reply to a message regarding A/S Wroath. I have a photo which i believe to be him. I found it among my old family pics and would be interested to find out why it is among my photos. regards Joyce.

Another of the crew was Griffith Evan Hughes.

He was born at Amlwch on the north Anglesey coast in 1871. Son of the late John and Mary Hughes, though the community left him off their memorials - possibly he had moved elsewhere long before the war. He was certificated as a Mate in 1895, and got his Master's ticket in 1898, but for the fatal voyage was serving as First Mate on the Coath. Died aged 45.

CWGC give his wife's post-war details as Mrs Maggie Hughes (nee Edwards), of 25 Clapham Road, Anfield, Liverpool.

I have a photo of the Coath's casualties from the Tower Hill Memorial, London if anyone wants a copy: regrettably, however, I didn't centre the shot correctly and poor Wroath's name (the last, alphabetically) is only half to be seen.

LST_164

Hello southernjoyce1, and welcome to the forum.

William Wroath was born at Mousehole, Cornwall, and was aged 33 when the Coath went down.

Missing presumed drowned.

I believe about 10 of the crew were local to Penzance and district.

Regards

Rob

• 12 years later...
On 24/01/2010 at 18:37, Guest southernjoyce1 said:

Looking through Great War Forum i spotted your reply to a message regarding A/S Wroath. I have a photo which i believe to be him. I found it among my old family pics and would be interested to find out why it is among my photos. regards Joyce.

Would like to see this, as he is my husband's Grandfather 👴 💙 

Good afternoon Wroath and welcome to the GWF.

It's good to see this topic remerge after a hiatus of 12 years or so years.

A photo of William & Mary Wroath, and the death notice, would certainly be welcomed by me (plus other members no doubt), if you are happy to oblige. 

Photos of SS Coath are seemingly quite rare but a couple will be found in the article entitled "Bazeley's of Penzance and the Little Western Steamship Company" which appeared in three parts in "Ships in Focus, Records 10, 11 & 12,"  published 1999/2000.

Regards,

Rob

• Admin
1 hour ago, Wroath said:

Would like to see this, as he is my husband's Grandfather 👴 💙 

Unfortunately, southernjoyce1 is no longer a member, as denoted by Guest

On 15/10/2022 at 08:15, Wroath said:

William Wroath is my husband's grandfather

Welcome to GWF

William WROATH

Widow's [Mary's] pension card at WFA/Fold3

image.png.0ead830b5d3ba6cfc0206552570c6f7d.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

The 3489 appears to be a Ministry of Pensions reference number, not a seaman's Official Number

M

Griffith HUGHES

Widow's [Maggie's] pension card at WFA/Fold3

image.png.4409066a067ada50677772e608bfa686.png

M

Thomas Coles STRIKE

Widow's [Mary Jane's] pension card at WFA/Fold3

image.png.f973ffe07ed7fd5e110a71225402bb65.png

M

Nice to see the image of the pension card of Griffith Evan Hughes, First Mate, originally born Amlwch Anglesey (but not commemorated there). 

Thanks

Clive