Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barracks of the Military Police at Abbassia.

Kirrawee

On 19.2.19 my grandfather, Ernest William Smith (Connaught Rangers) was appointed Deputy Assistant Provost Marshal Class FF and on 2.8.19 he departed To Cairo for duty.

When he was demobilised it was at Abbassia. I have found information which suggests that the barracks of the Military Police was at Abbassia.

On the web I found that : “12th May 1916, 21 Officers and 589 other ranks, selected from all units of the A.I.F., were marched into barracks Abbassia. Thus began one month of intensive training in all aspects of military police duties and soldiering. Those men who failed to meet the rigid requirement of the new Corps, were marched out, and returned to their units.”<http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-discipline/mil-police-ww1.htm>

I have two questions:

1.Did the AIF maintain a separate Provost Corps to that of the British Army? Or, would my grandfather have been appointed to the Australian Provost Corps?

2. Was Abbassia a place where all soldiers trained, or were enlisted/demobilised?

Mary

Mate,

From my limited knowage of this Corps yes the Aust Provo Corps was seperate then the British Corps but they did operate together.

What I mean is an AIF MP could pick up a British soldier as well as their own and like wise the british MP could also.

The memo you have relates to the formation of the Aust Provo Corps in Egypt but the Corps had been around before that date in a number of different names, like the Anzac Police.

As to what Abbassia had there for training I am unsure as I know the Camel Corps had there training base there so how big the barracks were may need someone better.

I could find no mention of your relation in AIF records the only Capt Smith went to France he was Prov Marshall (APM) 1st Aust Div Capt William Smith.

As could your relation be appointed to the AIF, no there is no record of that but he could command AIF MP's while being one of the APM's in Cairo.

Sorry

S.B

Abbassia was a large Training Centre on the outskirts of Cairo, about five miles out in the desert to the North East. With large and airy barrack building blocks and ranges.

This was where the nucleus of the Aust Provo Corps was formed.

This is a picture of its Barracks from 1915. I do not remember where I found it

Regards Mark

post-14045-1195763163.jpg

Replying to Steve and Mark -- thanks. I would rather have liked to think he had a connection with the Australians, but you are right, I'm sure, Steve, and he would have left the Connaught Rangers (who went to France) and joined the British MPs.

Looking at that amazing picture of the barracks at Abbassia, Mark, makes me think that a soldier's lot would have been a very lonely one – mostly. Though I know there was a lot of camaraderie too.

I just haven't managed to nail down the exact leaving of the Rangers and joining up with the MPs. I might have to simply accept that that is what happened.

Regards,

Mary

Helmets were worn at all times while at the Abbassia Training camp.

No slouch hats could be worn there by the Australians.

This British Army liked to have all the soldiers dressed the same in the Barracks.

Once out of Training these helmets were quickly dumped by the Australians. But if a soldier had to return to the training camp (from sickness or courses) he had to be reissued one, and had to pay for the missing item.

Regards Mark

That's interesting information, Mark. I can well imagine that the Australians wouldn't take kindly to having to wear the helmets. It could've got quite expensive though, having to buy new ones :-)

Mary

• 1 month later...