Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EDITH CAVELL LONDON STATUE

birchp

It's just off Trafalgar Square. Stand on the square, and point yourself towards the National Gallery, and go down the right hand side of the Gallery - you can't miss the statue.

Steve.

Thanks Steve! (you really don't know how bad my navigation is! Although I seem to depend on serendipitous discoveries of where I actually want to go! I constantly find myself saying 'ooohhh so thats where that is!'

Thanks again!

K :lol:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that bit of video. Nurse Cavell is very relevant to our part of the world (nr. Dover), as it was at Dover's Promenade Pier where her body first touched English 'soil' when she was brought back after the war.

This pier is a pet bit of history of mine....picture attached.. and also, have you all been onto britishpathe.com ? You can see her body being taken to London, with streets lined with people and soldiers etc. There is a free preview you can download, or put your hand in your pocket and buy the whole film.

NB, the pier is now gone, demolished in 1927. :o

Regards.

post-16973-1199017565.jpg

post-16973-1199017578.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was in Cavell House at school and her portrait held pride of place in our common room. She was the only woman there to have a house named in her honour and those of us who were members were very proud of her. Cavell's teams sported a red cross on our shirts and our rugby boys often left the opposition in dire need of nursing. I haven't seen the statue yet as I don't travel down to the Smoke very often but the next time I do, I'll be sure to pay a visit.

Spotted this statue in honour of Edith Cavell in Melbourne, Australia when on hols there a few years back.

ta ra

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

You may find this interesting. It is the very first published biography of Nurse Cavell. She was executed on October the 11th, and this little chapbook was on sale within days. It was popular war propaganda, of course, issued as a "shilling shocker" - sold on railway platforms as reading material for commuters.

I have climbed to the base of Mount Edith Cavell, Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies. Beautiful spot. I have photo somewhere, but it is the old fashioned kind!