Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any thoughts about this chap

Ian Underwood

Hello all.

I picked this up this photo postcard with another one recently, and was wondering if any pals might be able to shed some light on this chap?

The rear of the postcard its stamped 'Kodak Australia', so it's Australian in origin but that doesn't neccesarily mean he was a member of the RAN, as the RN had ships stationed here before and during the war. On the rear of the postcard is written the name 'Perce Gibson' in biro. (It looks more like 'Puce' but I'm sure its the former). The writing looks aged but I don't think biros were around when the pic was taken, so its likely that someone was identifiying the chap for future referece sometime after it was taken.

I've checked the CWGC and there's no sailors of the name Percy Gibson listed of any nationality, only a Peter. The AWM doesn't appear to have a nominal roll of RAN in the Great War (I've emailed them and have surprisingly had no reply).

This is a minor mystery compared to some aired on this forum, but I'm keen for some expert opinions or advice. Ian.

post-24-1074607836.jpg