Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stoke-Upon-Trent War Hospital

russell.fairchild

I cannot find this hospital listed under Mlitary Hspitals, but my fathers medical records show he was treated there during September and October 1917. Please can anyone advise me on where I can find further information about the hopsital and the patients that were treated there during that period.

I cannot find this hospital listed under Mlitary Hspitals, but my fathers medical records show he was treated there during September and October 1917. Please can anyone advise me on where I can find further information about the hopsital and the patients that were treated there during that period.

I couldn't find any info, but I did find this link http://www.thepotteries.org/people/williams_will.htm maybe it will lead somewhere?

Russell

The following is from Johnny Get Your Gun a personal narrative by John Tucker a Londoner serving with the Kensingtons.

We were put into a hospital train in the charge of a very fierce matron. We passed through London at night, much to my disappointment, and on to Newcastle-under-Lyme, near Stoke. I was taken by motor ambulance to Stoke War Hospital, actually at Newcastle.

The hospital set in neat grounds surrounded by a high wall, was originally the Stoke Workhouse.

My ward was a light, high ceilinged room, holding probably about 16 to 18 beds. On the right hand side of each bed there was a white cupboard. The iron bedsteads were covered with a clean white counterpain. The walls were dove grey distempered with white woodwork. The ward was immaculatley clean.

If you send me a Personal Message with your e-address I'll send you a scan of the pages relating to his stay which give some further background on the Hospital.

Dave