Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas McNeill M.10299, Senior Reserve Attendednt Royal Navy

Krissi1001

Hi,

I have been doing quite a bit of research into my Great-grandad. Here is what I have so far:

His name was Thomas McNeill M.10299, Senior Reserve Attendednt Royal Navy based at Devonport. He joined 29/10/14 as a volunteer for a year and then 26/10/15 joined hostilities. We have a DCM at home and through looking at archives saw he was given a DSM 24/02/16 which we can find no trace of. He survived the war and lived until 1957.

My questions are:

1/ Is there anyway to trace why he was awarded these medals?

2/ Would he have spent time overseas or would he have been based at Plymouth hospital throughout the war? My family believes he was a strecher bearer in the trenches?

3/ Would he have had a specific regiment, I have no photos and would love to try and find one.

I have some documents which may help, but it won't allow me to upload as they are too large. The document that I have says he sered on ships such as Vivid, HMS Diligence(Obedient), Victory and Apollo.

Thank you so much in advance. Most my family have passed away now and I would love to gather this info for the remaining.

Krissi

Krissi

from the

2078 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 24 FEBRUARY, 1916.

The following awards have also been

approved: —

To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.

Senior Reserve Attendant Thomas McNeill,

R.N.A.S. B.R., O.N. M.10299.

RNAS indicates the Royal Naval Air Service, and though others are better aquainted with 'records' than I

it may be worth contacting the Fleet Air Arm Museum to see if they have any further details

regards

Michael

Krissi

from the

2078 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 24 FEBRUARY, 1916.

The following awards have also been

approved: —

To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.

Senior Reserve Attendant Thomas McNeill,

R.N.A.S. B.R., O.N. M.10299.

RNAS indicates the Royal Naval Air Service, and though others are better aquainted with 'records' than I

it may be worth contacting the Fleet Air Arm Museum to see if they have any further details

regards

Michael

Thanks Michael. I thought the RNASBR was Royal Naval Auxillary Sick Berth Reserve?

Well, I did say that others were better at records than I :D

I though that the paper had a break between the 'S' and the 'B'

but on re-checking, of course there is no comma in there

Sorry

Best of luck

Michael

Hello Krissi

A small mention in 'DOC' 100 year history of the sick berth Branch.

Thomas McNeill SRA 1916

"There is no additional information which accompanied his citation, although a previous entry on 21st January 1916 refers to the advance on Kut El Amara. It can be assumed that McNeill was serving in one of the River Gunboats serving on the Tigris and Euphrates."

His involvement in this campaign should make interesting reading. Does his record state being aboard either of the HM Ships Clio, Espiegle or Triad.

Can confirm RNASBR Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve.

Regards John

Hello Krissi

A small mention in 'DOC' 100 year history of the sick berth Branch.

Thomas McNeill SRA 1916

"There is no additional information which accompanied his citation, although a previous entry on 21st January 1916 refers to the advance on Kut El Amara. It can be assumed that McNeill was serving in one of the River Gunboats serving on the Tigris and Euphrates."

His involvement in this campaign should make interesting reading. Does his record state being aboard either of the HM Ships Clio, Espiegle or Triad.

Can confirm RNASBR Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve.

Regards John

This is what I have for him John, I have attached it.

How would ifind out if involved in advance on Kut El Amara?

post-28055-1195558102.jpg

This is what I have for him John, I have attached it.

How would ifind out if involved in advance on Kut El Amara?

Try copying a smaller portion as Steve suggests, its just to fuzzy. Your first step would be to contact the FAAM for his enlistment papers as Horatio recommends.

Best of luck John

Sorry who are the FAAM?

Ignore me I have discovered who this is now. How do I go about contacting them. Their website says I would have to wait up to a year for my query to even be looked at. Please tell me there is a quicker way!!

Here's the award announcement in the Times of 25th February 1916 (he's near the bottom)

post-1356-1195572528.jpg

Krissi are you sure you have a DCM and not his DSM? I dont think he being in the NAvy/ RNAS could recive a DCM as this is army/ RFC (I think). The medals are very clear on the back, also the DSM will have very large wrting on the edge and Blue and white ribbon.

Krissi - following from John / Spiheads post ; here's one for ESPIEGLE - have others for TRIAD / CLIO / COMET - will post if you wish. If you find a date of service on a ship on his ADM 188 / ??? and it matches - `there you are'.

CAMERON Ewen N/E Staff Surgeon RN 81L023 Espiegle

C in C East Indies 10.05.16 G(M)

In Mesopotamia Operations at Kut-el-Amara November & December 1915 N/E

Did very good work at the advanced hospital at Kut-el-Amara, where he was untiring in his exertions in attending to the large numbers of wounded.

Best of luck & KOKO, Sadsac

Welcome to the forum Krissi

Take care attributing the reason for his award, none of the medals in the Times, with citations, relate to Kut.

Researching naval awards is more rewarding than their army equivalents! There are two medal rolls for the DSM in ADM 171/75 and ADM 171/61 (both on microfilm at the National Archives at Kew) and the second often gives a clue as to the event it was awarded for. Even better there is probably the original file relating to this award at Kew. Admiralty correspondence (including recommendations for awards) was indexed by the Admiralty secretariat. The index of the 'in letters' is now ADM 12, at Kew. A recipient for an award will have an entry indexed under his surname, by cross refencing that entry you may find the original file that contained his recommendation. These indexes are HUGE (they aren't kidding when they say large document) and the cross referencing takes time to feret out. Both the indexes and the eventual file are offline and still original documents.

For more details of the process see Spencer, William, Medals The Researcher's Companion (ISBN: 1903365635) and the research leaflet http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...?sLeafletID=380

Don't worry Michael, you're not the first to think there was a link with the Royal Naval Air Service!

Krissi are you sure you have a DCM and not his DSM? I dont think he being in the NAvy/ RNAS could recive a DCM as this is army/ RFC (I think). The medals are very clear on the back, also the DSM will have very large wrting on the edge and Blue and white ribbon.

I checked the medal last night and it is the DCM, I managed to locate my 2nd cousin last night and he has my great-grandads DSM. So I will look forward to seeing it!!

If you have a DCM, you probably have another thread! What are the details around the rim? Type them up and post them in 'Soldiers' or 'Uniforms, equipment and Medals.' Citations were often gazetted and there are geniuses on here who find them

• spof changed the title to Thomas McNeill M.10299, Senior Reserve Attendednt Royal Navy