Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry versus Find My past

expatpom

Could I request recommendations from forum members as to the quality

of the results obtained from these two websites.

Both seem to charge the same amount but I am unsure as to which would

be the best to research Births,Marriages,Deaths and Census information

relating to my Dad, Herbert Adams of the East Lancashire Regt, circa 1914-1919.

expat pom

I use both. Sorry folks, I'm one of those amateur genealogists that slow the site down whilst you're looking for soldiers records ;).

Ancestry, has a huge gap in BMD's from about 1911'ish onwards until 1984, and the indexing can be very hit and miss throughout all records. But one Sub lasts a year.

Findmypast charges a set unit fee per view, so depending how much you use it will decide how much it'll cost per year, I think I pay about £25 for 280ish units, (if anyone knows of a yearly sub I'll be eternally grateful I know I've had one before). Over the weekend I have used about 30 units looking for someone as unless you know when they were born and exactly how the spelling appears on the certificate you will have to trawl through pages, and each page on FMP's BMD costs one unit.

Each have their plus points, especially if you have someone before Ancestry's gap years, (I use Ancestry to get a good idea of which qtr's to check then double check on FMP). Both sites are a lot cheaper than a trip to London each time you need to look something up and a whole lot more accessable for the majority of people.

hth. Jan

Oh, I forgot to mention, Ancestry does go up to about 1919 in SOME area's on the BMD. I rarely use more than County Durham, London/Middlesex and Devon so can't help with which area's, though I'm pretty sure Cheshire is covered up till 1919. County Durham has an online BMD search index on it's council website, some other councils do too, so you could try those options aswell.

ancestry for me, easy to use.

have been on it everyday this last week!

Mandy

expat pom

As your Dad was in the East Lancs, i am guessing he is from the North West, a good site for Births, marriages and deaths, is

www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

Also if you going to use it a lot Ancestry is a lot cheaper

Nick

Edited cos I'm a doughnut and read Lancs as Leics. :)

Lancashire is very well set; as well as the Lancs BMD, you've also got the online parish records; incomplete, but you might get lucky.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/.

I like Ancestry because of the annual subscription, which means I don't feel like I've wasted money when I've spent an hour researching someone else's family history :rolleyes:

Lancashire is very well set; as well as the Lancs BMD, you've also got the online parish records; incomplete, but you might get lucky.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/.

I like Ancestry because of the annual subscription, which means I don't feel like I've wasted money when I've spent an hour researching someone else's family history :rolleyes:

Only half an hour? Lol, I sometimes find, especially when it's an easy trace, I get lost in the search and it's time to pick the kids up from school before I know it!

Ancestry, it has it's problems but it's easy to use and works out cheaper for me, ( as another amateur genealogist !)

Barbara..

Ancestry, has a huge gap in BMD's from about 1911'ish onwards until 1984, and the indexing can be very hit and miss throughout all records. But one Sub lasts a year.

Findmypast charges a set unit fee per view, so depending how much you use it will decide how much it'll cost per year, I think I pay about £25 for 280ish units, (if anyone knows of a yearly sub I'll be eternally grateful I know I've had one before). Over the weekend I have used about 30 units looking for someone as unless you know when they were born and exactly how the spelling appears on the certificate you will have to trawl through pages, and each page on FMP's BMD costs one unit.

hth. Jan

Hi Jan,

Ancestry does have the BMD's for the gap years you mentioned however they are not indexed. You can however do a search by the surname you are interested in for each quarter. Can be very tedious if you are only guessing.

Ancestry uses the information from Free BMD as their source so the coverage is improving all the time though relatively slowly. Ancestry has the entries for 1984 - 2005 fully indexed.

Findmypast.com does have annual subscriptions. See this:

http://www.findmypast.com/paymentOptions/s...tions/index.jsp

Doug

I use both. Sorry folks, I'm one of those amateur genealogists that slow the site down whilst you're looking for soldiers records ;).

Each have their plus points, especially if you have someone before Ancestry's gap years, (I use Ancestry to get a good idea of which qtr's to check then double check on FMP).

I may be lucky [or geriatrically challenged :huh: ], but I've never noticed any gap years in Ancestry's BMDs. They have both the pages transcribed as part of the FreeBMD project, which ARE far from complete, but the full index section has always seemed complete to me. My searching goes right through the years right up to the 1980s. Sometimes a particular quarter doesn't show up on a search, but that just means browsing by year and picking the right quarter and surname.

Sue

I subscribe to Ancestry and find it all pretty easy to use - yet another amateur genealogist!!! Also, it does have the WW1 records plus aload of other stuff on it which are all included in the subscription price.

Shellyj

expat pom

I use Ancestry for all my family history research, but as regards Birth Death and Marriage checks try freebmd as the name says it's free, you can isolate searches by county or registration district. It's a a site that is continuosly being updated so information tails off towards the 1920's. It, however, does avoid the multiple hits you get on other sites when your not sure of a year for the event.

You don't give much inforamtion on your dad so I presumed he was born in lancashire. I put in his name with lancashire as the registration District from 1880 to 1890 and got three hits straight away. with one born bolton 1881, one in Stockport 1887 and a herbert Sydney born lancaster 1887. I do stick to Ancestry for all my census work, but there is a link from freebmd to a census site.

John.

For me , findmypast is really unsatisfactory .

The units are time limited ; if you don't use them fast , they expire .

There is absolutely no account of when , where and how the units have been used and the money seems to disappear very fast .

Linden

I have a yearly subscription to Ancestry and it is invaluable. The vast array of material available and a very competitive price makes it very attractive. I have even one year took the world deluxe package as I have family in Canada and the U.S. That helped a great deal. As I have only been tracing my family for a few years it has certainly helped to achieve a great succes in building my tree (albeit a small family). I haven't even started on my wife's family yet as she is one of seven as is her mum amd dad also. Findmypast, I have used before for certain items but found it to be a little limited but did get the information that I required. I'm sure as time goes by it will expand and improve but until that time I will stick with what I use now.

Simon.

P.S. As not to put too much of a a downer on any other establishment. I will say that, at times, do use other resources if not finding what I need with my current search facility.

expat pom

Ancestry is my selection - in Cencus you can click on Relationship to Head scroll down to either Crew - Military -Officer - Nurse etc and press enter it will list all records for the census year selected.

It has more scope across the board

Paul

FMP does have Soldiers Died in the Great War, which Ancestry doesn't.

Recently I took the time to fill in an Ancestry survey, and suggested that they add SDGW .... you never know ...

Fantastic support Guys/Gals thank you much.

I think I'll run with ancestry and see how I get on (althought the FreeBMD project

sounds good to me (I LIKE free !!!)

expat pom

expat pom

Just as a sort of last word - you can subscribe monthly to Ancestry so do that to begin with and see how you get on - at least then if you don't like it you are only stuck with it for a month.

Shellyj