Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers Salonika

stevenbecker

Mates,

I notice that Arthur WYNDHAM 388 S/Smith B Sqn 12 LHR att 6 LHR on Gallipoli in his service record there is an interesting note.

Between 25th Oct 1915 and 29th Dec 1915 he was attached as batman to Capt Dowling to the 7Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

This entry shows that he was in the Balkans and Gallipoli around the same time but what I was trying to find out where was the 7Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers during this time.

Acording to their history the 7Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers this Bn was sent to Murdos on the 30th Sept 1915 and didn't return to Gallipoli?

It was part of the 30th Bde 10th Irish Div that landed at Suvla on the 7th Aug 1915. The Bn was badly fought out during Aug and suffered during Sept and was relieved.

Of cause I don't know where this Bn went to after this other then the 10th Div was sent to Salonika (Balkans).

Capt Dowling refers to Rowland Arthur DOWLING Capt Vet officer RHQ 12 LHR attached 7 LHR, who also is recorded going to the 7Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

One does wonder why these men went to Salonika with the 10th Div from Gallipoli?

Any ideas?

S.B

The troops of the Irish 10th Division after being decimated at Gallipoli were reorganized at Salonika and sent up into the Serbian mountains to an attempt to stem the Bulgarian advance. The temperature dropped below freezing point and the troops suffered since they were equipped for the tropics. In addition they had to cope with a forced and disorganized retreat.

Regards Mark

Mate,

Yes thanks the site mentions this for the 10th Div but no mention of any movement in the Bn outline?

The 10th Div on the 29th Sept "moved to Mudros, and on 4-5 October to Salonika, landing there 5-10 October. Took part on 7 and 8 December 1915 in the action at Kosturino, in the retreat from Serbia. "

Looks like my two AIF soldiers could still be with the 10th Div during this time.

Cheers

S.B

• 2 years later...

Steve

If you are still interested, I can give you a fuller account of 7th RDF during this period at Salonika. I'll save myself the effort of writing a reply, unless you post to say you are still after the info

6 December 1915(Big battle Kosturino battlefield area-Salonika campaign). One company from 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers was deployed in defensive position in Kajali ravine(south of Kosturino) . They took the left side and made coordination with French troops. The rest of the troops of 7th Royal Dublin Fusiliers were in reserve north of Kajali.