Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lady Dorothie Feilding

Guest denbigh

Can anoyone help me with suggestions/opinions? How can we keep Lady Dorothie Feilding's grave safe? We have recently been restoring our family cemetary in Monks Kirby, Warwickshire, in the hope that considerable restoration will discourage vandals. Instead, at the weekend, the graveyard was hit by theives who, as well as stealing architectural items also prised off and stole the brass plaque and headstone ornament from Lady Dorothie's grave. I have organised an appeal on the local television, though fear this will be of little use. In the absence of its return we will obviously replace it but I fear for its security.

I am at my wits end, but thought maybe you would have suggestions - the police are too busy to police a remote graveyard so I thought perhaps telling all of the newspapers might do something. I appreciate this is not the business of the site but I would be grateful for some help.

Thank you

Lady Denbigh

Good evening

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I live close to Monks Kirby and have visited Dorothie Fielding's grave several times, and have noted the clearance work that has taken place around the graves of the Fielding family. I'm not sure how I can help, but please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Best wishes

Terry Reeves

Very odd. I live fairly near and have also visited the grave on a number of occasions. As far as I remember there never was a plaque or ornament as you describe. That is, unless they were very recent additions. Do you have a picture of them?

Unfortunately we are going through a period where the metal thieves are having a heyday so the replacement of another brass plaque might be equally tempting. Have you considered a stone plaque, can't think of any other non-tempting material that would survive the elements and time.

Good luck with your efforts

Tony