Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sculptures

Landsturm

It seems that Soren is still going through some difficult times with his computer and asked me to put these here... They are terracota clay.

A British Tommy sinking into the mud of Passchendaele 1917 and a brooding German soldier bust.

post-1862-1195431147.jpg

post-1862-1195431155.jpg

post-1862-1195431250.jpg

post-1862-1195431338.jpg

post-1862-1195431345.jpg

Soren - Nicely done! :) I like them both, but I like the German a bit better.

Terra cotta is not a medium I have any familiarity with. I would be curious if you could describe your methods.

All the best,

Dan

Hi,

Firstly thank-you Landsturm for posting these for me, very much appreciated!

Dan, there's no real method, well certainly not a taught method, I just bought a large lump of clay and started playing around with it!

Cheers

Soren

They are not fired so therefore quite fulnerable to breakages etc, I am eyeing a kiln up on ebay as it happens!

• 2 weeks later...

Soren, Tip top as always. I rather like the bust figure. It reminds me of that huge great square plinth statue just inside one of the war graves cemetaries. A particular favourite of mine that piece of granite... but, it says so much. There must be something that tears at the heartstrings of soldiers standing stock still looking downwards. Like permanent respect or something. Whatever it is - I find it very moving......

Thanks for posting these Landsturm.

Susan.

When I first saw these I thought they were period studies for war memorials!

Well done.

• 2 months later...

Fine work, as ever, Soren. The German head is reminiscent of German drawings and figures of the period, and the Tommy in the mud is very powerful - like a fossil in the making.

I like the Tommy in the mud best, it is so poignant that you should seek to pay tribute in the very medium that is so imbedded in the popular conciousness, the mud and clay of France and Flanders. To me its not a representation of a young life lost in the mud, to me the clay is returning him back to us.

I do like the way on the German figure that you have stuck so closely to your style of drawing that simplicity of line that I very much admire.

Guest soren1916

thanks for the feedback Guys.

I really like clay, I think it kind of makes my drawings come to life. I had'nt thought about the Flanders mud, it makes the clay the obvious medium for my sculptures.

Soren