Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force

Tonyf

As a postal historian of AIF matters I have a postcard from a George Fenning, to his brother in the AIF, giving his address as c/o D of Telegraphy Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force. Can anyone give, or point me at a source of further information, on George and/or the M.E.F.

As a postal historian of AIF matters I have a postcard from a George Fenning, to his brother in the AIF, giving his address as c/o D of Telegraphy Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force. Can anyone give, or point me at a source of further information, on George and/or the M.E.F.

Tony

log onto:- Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1918

http://warpost.blogsome.com/photo-archive-...itionary-force/

Paul

Tony,

Can not find him listed in 'With Horse and Morse in Mesopotamia' which is a history of all Australian and NZ involvement in theatre during Great War.

Australian National Archives @ http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx show a George Fenning in the Light Horse - his papers are digitised and you can search as a guest - looks like he was a bit of a problem child but was killed after the war from a fractured skull. According to the CWGC site he is listed on the Cairo war memorial.

Mike

To Paul & Mike

I have to apologise the name should have an S on the end ie.Fennings

Paul, your suggested site has produced some background for which many thanks.

Mike I have already been down those leads without success, including all the wireless reinforcements. Which has led me to think that George may have been in the British army or on a civiliian contract if such a thing existed. But many thanks for your interest.

Tony

Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1918

http://warpost.blogsome.com/photo-archive-...itionary-force/

Paul, It's a shame that I can add nothing to the original query. but thank you for an excellent link. Thanks for the general posting.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,

Still cannot help - have been through the list of personnel attached to the Civil Administration Nov 14 - Oct 20 provided by Wilson in his second volume on Mes - Clash of Loyalties.

No Fennings or Fenning with or without rank are listed. If he was working for Dof Telegraphs then he didn't hold rank or equivalent rank.

What is the date of the post card and which FPO cancellation is used - might narrow the field slightly.

Mike

• 4 months later...
Guest Pittuck

Hi all,

I was interested in this posting as i am researching the FENNING family tree. A direct family member to my mother-in-law was George Fenning. There is a mention of him in the post from Mike. He was in the 8th Australian Ligth Horse, died aged 25 in 1919. He had a brother also in the Australian Imperial Force. I was wondering if there was any other clues on the postcard, where it was posted from, brothers name, year posted etc.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Kim.