Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

royal munster fusiliers

A.Davidson

Hi there I am researching my grandads ( Pte Andrew Davidson) history..he served in the Royal Munster Fusiliers and then the royal Irish fusiliers. I believe he joined up in Tipparery although he was from Belfast. He survived the war and died in 1953. I have added the only photo I have of him. He is standing on the far right. I do not know the identity of the two other Fusiliers. Grandad was a valet to a colonel and served in France and Turkey.here is some other info on him. (R.Mun.Fus Pte 6698) and(R.Ir.Fus. Pte 30606)....I am new to this researching but can anyone give me some info on the regiment or the photo ........Thanking you ..Andrew Davidson

post-27811-1195223462.jpg

Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. You might like to download his medal index card (Pnds 3.50 from the National Archives) - it might give his battalion number. Armed with that you can find out at least a broad history of where he would have served. Have a read of the linked site, The Long Long Trail. The best item is his army service record if it survives. The remaining (appx only 1/3rd) are burnt documents (from the Blitz) and are gradually coming online. Presently A-C are available, so hopefully you will not need to wait too long for the D surnames to appear.

Ian

Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. You might like to download his medal index card (Pnds 3.50 from the National Archives) - it might give his battalion number. Armed with that you can find out at least a broad history of where he would have served. Have a read of the linked site, The Long Long Trail. The best item is his army service record if it survives. The remaining (appx only 1/3rd) are burnt documents (from the Blitz) and are gradually coming online. Presently A-C are available, so hopefully you will not need to wait too long for the D surnames to appear.

Ian

Hi there Ian ..Thanks for the info ....I have his madal card and I will contact the National Archives for more info ....thanking you again .........andy Davidson

Hi there Ian ..Thanks for the info ....I have his madal card and I will contact the National Archives for more info ....thanking you again .........andy Davidson

Andy:

There is a very good website for the Royal Munster Fusiliers which you can easily find on a search. If your grandfather's military records did not survive the Blitz, the medal rolls at the Public Records Office at Kew will likely show which battalion or battalions he served in and when he left the army. There is also a very active Royal Munster Fusiliers Association which you could contact for information.

Bob