Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mametz Wood and Bourlon Wood Map

mametzwood

Hello All,

I am currently doing a project on Mametz Wood and Bourlon Wood and having difficulty in finding trench maps for these areas. In relation to Bourlon Wood I am trying to follow the path of the 18th (Service) Battalion The Welsh Regt and Mametz Wood just a general Trench Map. I am aware of the locations and units at Mametz but findin it rather difficult to locate a Trench Map.

Best Wishes

SWB

Finally A Mametz related question, I may be of some after all :lol:

Here wherethe problem lies SWB, Mametz Wood is separted over 2 maps (pretty much straight down the middle) so you would need both,

I have them, trouble is I am in Swansea and the repro maps I picked up in france covering the area are back home in the Rhondda, luckily I am going home today so I should be able to sort somthing out for you, i can tell that one what ones its on; Ovillers and the other is Longueval.

My main interest is Mametz Wood, and the Welsh Regiment (10th and 13th bat), Have you got a copy of Colin Hughes book on Mametz? as thats a really good book on the battle. The Battlefield Europe, book on Mametz is brief but gets the points across

Gaz

P.S. Pontypridd, your quite close to where I live (when i ain't in Uni), Ferndale (up in the Rhondda)

I have a digital copy of the map of MW used by Captain John Strange and dated 9 July 1916. Its in colour. this will be 'launched' on my website (along with 200 other images relating to Captain Strange later this month. Can't release it early as I've promised the family a preview and a chance to correct my captions etc.

I'll be posting here when I go live with the new option. Or you could register on my site and I'll e-mail you when I go live.

The other images? Field messages, WO telegrams, wound tags and reports, burial details (for a different officer), Red Cross letters and cards, letters from all and sundry, an invite to the Palace for his medals, POW cards, cash and tickets etc. Worth a look.

Bernard

Garron,

Great, I work in Ferndale Comp on a Monday and Wednesday and ex RRW (22 years), so anything you have will be a great help.

SWB

Bernard,

Look forward to it and many thanks

Ahhh my old school, small world isn't it :lol:

You have a PM SWB.

Gaz

SWB

I have looked at your Swansea Pals website and found it very interesting. I only wish I could get the know how and the time to do a similar project for the Birmingham Pals.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Terry Carter

Thanks Terry.

I'm not especially techie but if you are prepared to have a crack and accept a few false starts it can be done. Time is always an issue, of course...

Bernard