Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres SBs - famous pic

Desmond7

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:St...August_1917.jpg

See link above - pic taken by Brooke - dated August 1 1917.

Have these SBs ever been id'd as coming from a specific unit?

Belfast Newsletter carrying story today which claims they are from Ulster Division and naming one of the individuals. Any thoughts?

I am very dubious.

I remember seeing at least one of the men named at a Display in Netley Hospital (or the site of the former Netley Hospital ) many years ago. I am not sure whether it was part of the permanent diplay they have at Netley or not . I believe the man was said to have come from the Netley area before the war "MO"

My greetings to the Field Marshal of Grumpiness .... thanks for bringing this back to the top.

The gist of the story is as follows:-

Old man sees pic, 'recognises Dad', writes to IWM.

IWM write back saying - 'Yes we agree there is a striking resemblance ...' and other stuff I cannot read on the tiny picture of their letter to the old guy.

However, as we all know 'strking resemblance' means diddly in terms of history/old pictures.

The newspaper has headlined their story about the old fella as 'WW1 mystery solved' etc and states that the IWM 'quickly confirmed' that it was the old guy's father (which they most certainly did not from what I can see).

Question remains: Does anyone know which unit these men came from? Could they poss by Ulster Div (cos the old boy's dad served with the 36th Medics)? I do not think (but I could be wrong) that they were in the Boesingle sector at start August, 1917.

All help appreciated. I have no wish to destroy the hopes of this elderly gent but I do feel this could snowball and end in a major red-face for some people.

Question remains: Does anyone know which unit these men came from? Could they poss by Ulster Div (cos the old boy's dad served with the 36th Medics)? I do not think (but I could be wrong) that they were in the Boesingle sector at start August, 1917.

All help appreciated. I have no wish to destroy the hopes of this elderly gent but I do feel this could snowball and end in a major red-face for some people.

My Dad corresponded quite a bit on this picture. He told me of at least four people who have claimed the man to be their relative. I'll see if I can dig out what he had as it may help.

Barbara

Howard Williamson, author of the recent Great War collectors guide has a huge copy of the picture on the wall in his study and told me that the soldier with the splendid moustache in the foreground was his Dad's mate, Howard, and that he was named after him. It could be a family tall tale but they must all be someone's relatives!

The man named as being in the picture is James Coates of Belfast ... there is a James Coates in the MIcs for RAMC. Whether he is the man who is actually in the picture is another thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Des

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you but I've had to dig deep and I've still only managed to find half of what was investigated.

It's all a bit confusing really from what I've read so far but the gist is that the 5 men at the back are all RAMC - they are all wearing the Geneva Red Cross and there are two Lance Corporals in the picture. Some of the names that were put forward suggests that they could be men from the 3rd Wessex Field Ambulance but that is not definate because they are not wearing 'T RAMC WESSEX' shoulder brasses. A lazer scan of the leading man (Thats how he is referred) reveals emblems that suggest he may be a regular Scots Guardsman and if this is the case then the picture is of members of the Guards Division. At one point it was suggested that he was possibly Rifle Brigade though. The man with the moustache has no ID.

I think that concludes that they have no idea really but I can tell you that James Coates is not amongst the names already suggested by Netley. If I find the other half of what I'm looking for and it provides other info I'll let you know.

Barbara