Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stirring up memories

christine liava'a

I note that various members, while researching for Remembering Today, have contacted living relatives, or in some cases, persons living in the area, of those remembered, with, generally, good results.

I wonder what effect this query has on those contacted.

Hopefully it will cause a resurgance of interest in the person remembered, perhaps in their family, and/or their war service.

Maybe we need to ask this in about a year!

Having read various names on documents/CWGC etc., I've approached various friends of mine to ask if they were connected to so-and-so who is listed. More often than not, they have a vague family story about that person but in the majority of cases show little enthusiasm about finding out more.

The standard coversation goes:-

"Would you be related to a guy named Bloggs who was killed in the First World War. he used to live in Queen Street - was your Granny not from down that way?"

"Yeah. I think I might be related."

"Well, do you know there are some details about him on the internet. I could point you in the right direction if you want to find out a little bit more about his regiment or the action he was involved in ..."

"Is that right? Come back to me on that one .... did you see that Manchester United have signed a new striker? Do you want another pint?"

I am afraid that a lot of people are pretty apathetic about their family history. Of course they always buy a poppy for November 11 but that's about as far as it goes.

Those who show true interest are the exception rather than the rule.

I've also been amazed by how many family 'bloodlines' were wiped out in WW1. A couple of sons killed ... maybe an only son ... and the name's gone.

But these comments are only my perception. I genuinely hope the majority of members have had a different experience.

Guest Pete Wood
I note that various members, while researching for Remembering Today, have contacted living relatives, or in some cases, persons living in the area, of those remembered, with, generally, good results.

I wonder what effect this query has on those contacted.

Hopefully it will cause a resurgance of interest in the person remembered, perhaps in their family, and/or their war service.

Maybe we need to ask this in about a year!

Christine

Yes, I have been lucky so far with the relatives and neighbours of those in the 'remembered' section.

The only person, though, who was positively frosty at first, was Lady so-and-so (from the ruined castle). She was convinced that I was trying to sell her something. It was only after I 'dropped' a few names of people I knew at English Heritage that she 'warmed' up.

I remember a few years ago that I cold-called a whole load of people on the Isle of Wight, trying to trace various relatives of soldiers who were killed in 1915. One old lady, bless her, took my number and reported me to the police for being a "pervert who enjoys talking about dead people." Damn, she sussed me out in no time. The Isle of Wight 'copper' who rang me up to find out my motives turned out to be related to a IoW Rifleman (so the call wasn't a waste of time).

I just think you have to be sensitive and always leave your number - even if they say they have nothing to add. Most of the time, once they've thought about it, they remember something.

Guest Simon Bull

I have found that people in my village, on the whole, are rather uninterested in research I am doing on the War Memorial. I have been particularly disappointed by the reluctance of those related to the men on the Second World War Memorial to come forward. This may possibly have something to do with the fact that I am not a native of the village and only came to live here about four years ago. However, I suspect it is more to do with either disinterest, or, (particularly in the case of one person whom I approached at the behest of a Second World War veteran from the village whom I have been in contact with him now lives in New Zealand), a degree of continuing upset at the events commemorated.

Save for this one non-response I have had no contact with a direct (i.e. at one remove) relative of one of the deceased, so I cannot tell whether one is having unpleasant effects in stirring up memories.

Simon Bull

Especially for Christine - in light of my earlier 'genealogical blues' - asked mum about relatives. My Blackadder grandad's wife's maiden name was Tennant.

Guess what, the moment I mentioned a Tennant from Francis Street in Harryville, Ballymena, her eyes lit up.

"He went to Australia and was a LEFTtenant (pronouned with some pride by the old girl). He was your Granny Blackadder's wee brother."

After that she became a bit flustered. But she gave the rank with no hestitation and the Australia bit came straight away. To continue the football theme on this topic - I've got a penalty in the FA cup! See thread 'Officer class - working class hero?'

He went to Australia and was a LEFTtenant

So that is how you pronounce it. isn't it, assuming you speak English and not American!

I'm glad she remembered!

In her own words: Minus tape recorder:

'Oh aye, sure he wus a leftenatnt wie the australians... howl on .. sure the Australians weren't in the war ... laugh ho ho ho .. och I'm stupid ... it's just me memory ...

Great old girl - I was the proverbial late child. Plenty of yanks and canucks in our family .. but that was pure Ballymena. Co. Antrim.

I'm finding that when i first approach family members,that the general response seems to be a shrug of the shoulders and "i don't know".i then find after a few days i am contacted with the comment "i've just remembered something" and what they have to tell is usually of help,and the pattern goes on every time i ask someone.

today i had an e-mail from someone in the family,with an example of this.one of my uncles related a memory passed on to him from his mom (one of George Whites own children).that she remembers been held in her mothers arms as they watched dad walk off down Plume Street,in uniform,back packs on,rifle slung over his shoulder.at the end of the street he turned,waved and walked off down Holburn Hill.that was the last they ever saw of him,three months later he was dead.Sad !!.

even me,hard hearted at the best of times was moved by this "personnel memory".but it's this sort of thing that my research seems to be awakening that makes it all seem so more real.

Steven.