Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Cunningham VC

museumtom

I have searched to no avail to find a photograph of John Cunningham from Thurles on the internet. Does one exist?

Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Tom

Well done Peter, many thanks. Is there more of the picture? and what is the name of the book please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 1 year later...
I have searched to no avail to find a photograph of John Cunningham from Thurles on the internet. Does one exist?

Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Tom

I have seen the photo of John Cunningham taken from the VC book it apears to be genuine. I do not know the source of this photo and would like to know its source. I am relative of JC and I do have a different photo ( head and shoulders in uniform). I also have a photo of his brother Patrick (Packie) who died before JC from his wounds and is buried in Thurles.

May I ask you are you a relative or what is your need for the photo? By the way the medal is on loan and on display at the Imperial War Museum London.

regards

John Fanning

The origin of many WWI photos of VC winners is O'Moore Creagh's work on the Victoria Cross.

John, we spoke when you visited Thurles and we gave you a VC copy so you know our interest in it, it's because he is a Tipperary VC. His brother is buried in the grounds of St Marys Church which is the Famine and War Museum.

Tom Burnell, Research Curator.

• 10 years later...

Hi. 

Reading this thread with interest as John and Patrick are my cousin's. Wondering if there are any more relatives on here.  I'm off to France next year to pay my respects in person to this brave young man 

Elaine