Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Police in Palestine

Kirrawee

My grandfather, Ernest Williams SMITH, was with the Military Police in Palestine. Can anyone tell me about the MPs there at that time? I know it was a troubled time with riots in the local population. Did the MPs have jurisdiction over civilians or only over soldiers? Would they have ever engaged in hand to hand combat with the local population in a riot situation? One of my relatives asserts that my g'father was responsible for ordering the hanging of civilians. Could this be true?

Specifically, my grandfather's service record reads:

2.12.18 Reported for duty to DaPM Alexandria

Struck off strength Cmd D. Alex

19.2.19 To be DaPM Class FF to complete establishment

London Gaz. Sup 31350 21.5.19

2.8.19 Deptd. To Cairo for duty

Any information would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Mary

Mate,

The book "Beyond the Myth" goes into the Australian MP's in Egypt and France by Geoffrey Barr, some of which may help you.

I am unsure of the Law arragments at the time but during your relations time the Egyppitans rebelled in 1919 and many were killed by Allied forces.

A book by Suzanne Brugger "Austrlians and Egypt" goes into this time but I can see no mention of your relations name in the book?

Sorry its not much.

S.B

Thanks, Steve. I had wondered if my grandfather could have left the Connaught Rangers and joined up with the Australian MPs, because I'd seen adverts by the Australians for men to join their MPs, and my g'father had the qualifications. But, I haven't been able to verify this one way or the other as yet.

I'll see if I can get hold of the books you mention.

Mary

As well as the deteriorating situation of civil unrest in Egypt (mentioned by Steve) which led to Allenby being appointed His Majesty's Special High Commissioner for Egypt and the Sudan on 21 March 1919, there had already been problems within the British military in the Occupied Enemy Territories

On the 20th February 1919, Allenby telegraphed the War Office as follows

"There have recently occurred four cases of serious unrest: in the Royal Ordnance Department at Haifa, in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps at Kantara, Gloucestershire Yeomanry at Aleppo. Middlesex Yeomanry at Damascus. This unrest has been temporarily adjusted (sic). The unrest in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps was caused by doubts as to who we were entitled to bonus under Army order 14 of January, and uncertain prospects of release. In the yeomanry the discomfort in the advanced areas resembling active service conditions, and in all cases the fact that men eligible for demobilization, though retained with and doing the same work in the same unit as men eligible for demobilization, do not draw the full bonus till after 1st May. I earnestly urge that from 1st February to date of release the full bonus be granted to all ranks serving in this force,"

[from 'Allenby in Palestine - The Middle East correspondence of Field Marshal Vicount Allenby' selected and edited by Matthew Hughes]

With tens of thousands of men weary after a long war and anxious to get home as quickly as possible, the unrest was understandable, and no doubt provided much work for the Military Police.

Regards

Michael

That's very interesting, Michael. Thank you.

Stupidly, it hadn't occurred to me that the War was over by the time my grandfather joined the MPs. I suppose demobilisation wasn't a quick affair. It would've taken time.

Regards,

Mary

Hi Mary,

I think it should read.

2.12.18 Reported for duty to Deputy Assistant Provost Marshal Alexandria

Struck off strength Command Depot Alexandria

19.2.19 To be Deputy Assistant Provost Marshal Class FF to complete establishment

(I think special appointment grade FF was for intelligence duties)

Supplement to the London Gazette 31350 21 May 1919

2.8.19 Departed To Cairo for duty

http://beta.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF....t=&similar=

Regards Mark

post-14045-1195263963.jpg

When the war ended, the nationalists began to press the British for independence.

On November 13, 1918 the Egyptians formed a delegation to go to London and Paris. The British refused to allow them to travel. On March 8, members of the delegation were arrested and put into the Qasr an Nil prison. Then they were deported to Malta, which sparked an uprising in March/April 1919. There were violent clashes in Cairo and the provincial cities of Lower Egypt, especially Tanta, and the uprising spread to the south, with violent confrontations in Asyut Province in Upper Egypt.

Railroad and telegraph lines were cut, taxi drivers refused to work, lawyers failed to appear for court cases, and demonstrators marched through the streets demanding independence. Violence resulted, with many Egyptians and Europeans being killed or injured when the British attempted to stop the demonstrations.

By the summer of 1919, more than 800 Egyptians had been killed, as well as 31 Europeans and 29 British soldiers.

Wingate, the British high commissioner, understood the strength of the nationalist forces and the threat represented to British dominance and had tried to persuade the British government to allow the delegation to travel to Paris.

London decided to replace Wingate with a strong military figure, General Edmund Allenby.

On February 28, 1922, Britain unilaterally declared Egyptian independence with no negotiations with Egypt.

4 matters were "absolutely reserved to the discretion" of the British government.

The security of communications of the British Empire in Egypt.

The defense of Egypt against all foreign aggressors or interference, direct or indirect.

The protection of foreign interests in Egypt and the protection of minorities.

The Sudan.

Sultan Ahmad Fuad became King Fuad I, with his son, Faruk as his heir.

Regards Mark

As Mark has pointed out, the civil unrest in Egypt was primarily a nationalist movement; with the fall of the Ottoman Empire nationalism had broken to the surface all across the middle east. Indeed, even before the Ottoman demise the Allies had encouraged nationalism via various agents such as T. E. Lawrence.

Egypt was a slightly different case however, since the Great War, and in particular the British treatment of the Egyptians during that war, was an added impetus to the latent nationalism.

Allenby writing to Wilson on 16 April 1919 sums up the situation

"For the first time since 1882 they [the Fellahin] are against us. Previously, the Fellahin have been our friends.

Voluntary (sic) recruiting for the Egyptian Labour Corps - carried out by press-gang methods in the provinces - is one grievance.

Then again, the requisitioning of animals and supplies for military purposes; unjustly applied, in many cases. Thirdly, collections made, throughout the country for the Red Cross Fund. This is a very real grievance. Finally the existing high prices of food - result of the war - are put down to the continued presence of the British Army."

Matthew Hughes, the editor of the book on Allenby's letters, adds the following footnote

"As early as 1916 there were protests at the forced recruitment of Egyptians into the Egyptian Labour Corps and Camel Transport Corps, also at the forced requisitioning of animals and fodder for the EEF."

Allenby himself had pointed out to Robertson in October 1917, "I can procure no further supplies from EGYPT, so all additional grain, forage and fuel must come from overseas." Egypt had been bled dry.

Likewise, regarding recruitment, Allenby was well aware of the methods used; see his letter to Wingate (his predecessor as High Commissioner) dated 1 May 1918

'...on the subject of the Camel Transport Corps. We can't get the men, and we can't do without them; and I am advised that the only way to get them is compulsion - on the lines of the Corvee - but paid, of course, at the present rate of wages. As you know I am opposed to compulsion; but we seem to be between the Devil and the Deep Sea, and I don't know how to avoid it."

In November 1918 the Egyptian Labour Corps numbered 504 officers and 100,002 men, having expanded from a January 1916 figure of 39 officers and 2,973 men. And the Labour Corps only accounted for a part of the 'press-ganged' Egyptians;

Camel Transport Corps 23,452 drivers

Donkey Transport Corps 1,992 drivers

Horse Transport (ASC) 4,349 drivers

Remount Service 1,433 syces

Veterinary Service 3,496 syces

Imperial Camel Corps 247 drivers.

All of these men were supposed to be on 6 months contracts, so for an annual figure you could double those numbers.

Of course very few were let go at the end of their 6 months, providing yet another source of grievance.

As well as serving in the EEF, the Egyptians also served on the Western Front, Mesopotamia and Salonika

The officer element of the Egyptian Labour Corps was very weak and their record keeping was incredibly poor. Witness the dates given [currently by the CWGC] for many of the ELC dead; as often as not there will be a spread of several months or even several years quoted. Many Egyptian families lost their only bread-winner and had no way of tracing him.

A great deal of the situation in 1919 Egypt was of our own making.

regards

Michael

Thanks Mark and Michael. I now realise that my grandfather arrived in Cairo 2.8.19 to take up the position of Deputy Assistant Provost Marshal just as things were getting really bad.

Is there an archive anywhere which would give an account of the work, or actions, of the Provost and his assistants during that time? I know he kept a record of some sort but I don't have access to it. I'd really like to find out, if I can, what role he played in that time of unrest. The only incident I ever remember him telling me about it was that a soldier was brought before him for overspending his bank account. The soldier's explanation was to show my grandfather his cheque book, saying he still had lots of cheques left in it!! So I suppose my grandfather had to explain that it didn't work like that.

Mary

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

There is also a possible reference for 23 Feb 1916, also in 'The Connaught Rangers Vol3' by Jourdain & Fraser.

With 11 Officers from the East Surrey Regiment joining the Battalion.

Regards Mark

post-14045-1197678122.jpg

Hi,

There is also a possible reference for 23 Feb 1916, also in 'The Connaught Rangers Vol3' by Jourdain & Fraser.

With 11 Officers from the East Surrey Regiment joining the Battalion.

Regards Mark

Thanks Mark, but I don't think this applies. His service record has him in the 25th City of London Regiment (cyclist) – which is part of the Territorials? Were all the "home-based" regiments called Territorials? Then, in 1915 there is an application for "appointment to a temporary commission in the regular army for the period of the war".

Interestingly, on this application his previous service if shown as

Territorial Force 25th (C of L) cyclist Battn

3rd East Surrey, No. 98 to Jan 1900

2nd East Surrey Regt. Jan 1900 to June 1902, as Corpl (or Capt. - I'm not sure) in S. Africa

So, to go overseas he had to leave the Territorials and join the regular army? Territorials weren't regular army. But wouldn't the East Surrey regiments have been regular army?

On another record I have it that he enlisted into the 25th Battalion County of London Regiment Territorial Force on 9.4.08; he was mobilised on 5.8.14; discharged on appointment to a Commission 9.3.15; granted a temporary commission as 2nd Lieutenant 9th East Surrey Regiment 10.3.15 and then posgted to 5th Bn Connaught Rangers 22.2.16.

It seems I can track his service record, and thanks for your earlier input about the posting to the Connaught Rangers – I am still curious about his work with the military police. I'm going to ask my library to get the book "Red Caps" in for me which will give me a general idea, though not specifically about him.

Regards,

Mary

Hi Mary,

The dates for joining the 5th Battalion The Connaught Rangers are very close with your records having him posted to the Connaught Rangers on 22.2.16 and the book with 11 Officers from the East Surrey Regiment arriving on 23.2.16.

The 5th Battalion The Connaught Rangers left Palestine for France on 25 May 1918 when the Egyptian Expeditionary Force in Palestine was ordered to send as many troops as possible to France due to the German break through on the Western Front.

The battalion strength on 30 April 1918 included 25 Officers while at Khurbetha-Ibn-Harith and on 3 May 1918 it included 24 Officers when it left Ludd for Kantara on the Suez Canal were it stayed until it entrained for Port Said and sailed for Marseilles. Maybe the missing Officer is your man being left behind Palestine.

Regards Mark

Hi Mary,

The dates for joining the 5th Battalion The Connaught Rangers are very close with your records having him posted to the Connaught Rangers on 22.2.16 and the book with 11 Officers from the East Surrey Regiment arriving on 23.2.16.

The 5th Battalion The Connaught Rangers left Palestine for France on 25 May 1918 when the Egyptian Expeditionary Force in Palestine was ordered to send as many troops as possible to France due to the German break through on the Western Front.

The battalion strength on 30 April 1918 included 25 Officers while at Khurbetha-Ibn-Harith and on 3 May 1918 it included 24 Officers when it left Ludd for Kantara on the Suez Canal were it stayed until it entrained for Port Said and sailed for Marseilles. Maybe the missing Officer is your man being left behind Palestine.

Regards Mark

That would make sense, Mark, wouldn't it? i.e. my grandfather being the missing officer, left behind in Palestine. Apparently, he was about 15 years older than the other men (someone told me this) so I wonder if they'd have left him behind for that reason. Or, they just needed more MPs. He was able to ride, so he'd have been eligible to be an MP.

Regards,

Mary

Hi Mary,

I just came across an example of what your Grandfather might have been doing.

Where an Officer from the 1st Battalion The Connaught Rangers is appointed as Assistant Provost Marshal in Nazareth

on 27 Sept 1918. In 'The Connaught Rangers Vol I' by Jourdain & Fraser.

Regards Mark

post-14045-1197807809.jpg

Mark, Jourdain says "The Rangers" took over charge as the garrison in Nazareth. I suppose this would be the 1st battalion, as an officer of the 1st battalion became APM in Nazareth? Does he say anything about the 5th battalion at this time?

Hmm. I must stop and have a look at what I've got before waffling on … :-) Many thanks for the information.

Regards

Mary

Hi Mary,

Yes that was the 1st Battalion. The 1st Battalion had arrived in Palestine in May 1918 as part of the Third (Lahore) Division, Indian Army just after the 5th Battalion had left for France.

Regards Mark