Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barlin Cemetary

Guest lorne99@storm.ca

Guest lorne99@storm.ca

post-27488-1195078653.jpg

My uncle was buried here afer death on Feb. 10, 1918. He was in the 8th Btn. (C.E.F.) from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

We have info on how he died, but everything we know is that he was in battle then. But, all information I have found is that the area he was buried was not in any way part of the action. I therefore presumed that he was evacuated to that area, but was killed someplace else. What I am tring to find out is where he died ?

Hi My Great Uncle Thomas Ridge is buried there also. He died of wounds 1st June 1916 so much earlier in the Great War.

The extension was begun by French troops in October 1914 and when they moved south in March 1916 to be replaced by Commonwealth forces, it was used for burials by the 6th Casualty Clearing Station. In November 1917, Barlin began to be shelled and the hospital was moved back to Ruitz, but the extension was used again in March and April 1918 during the German advance on this front. The extension contains 1,094 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and a number of French and German war graves. Some French civilians killed in a colliery accident in 1917 are also buried in the extension. The extension was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

Thomas was North of Souchez when he was wounded so was transported several kilometres to Barlin so your Uncle undoubtedly was moved some way to Barlin.

Jane

Hi,

If you go into the website of the Canadian Genealogy Centre (www.collectionscanada.ca) you should be able to access the War Diary fort the 8th Battalion.

It is possible, though unlikely, that your uncle may be listed by name. Alternatively, you can view the service records of members of the CEF by visiting the Canadian National Archives in Ottawa. The service records should tell you the date on which your incle was wounded - given that he is buried at Barlin I suspect that is the case, rather than that he was actually killed in battle, but I may be wrong.

Regards

Mark