Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ottoman grenades in Jordan

Julian Evan-Hart

Hi everyone I have just returned from 2 weeks surveying and metal detecting of World War One Ottoman fortifications and trench systems in Jordan. I managed to find part of an Ottoman soldiers uniform that had been discarded in an old tent, however when I found it it still had his Turkish cigarette rolling papers in the breast pocket. However The find I am most interested in researching is one of three live grenades found in the ruins of a rail way station along the Hijaz line. These were "Cricket Ball" style grenades approximately 4 inch hollow steel balls some of which had a lug at the botton with sections of wire threaded through. However most were spherical with no lugs at all and with a zinc or copper alloy threaded plug at the top which stuck out about 2mm. Through this protruded a hollow fabric shrouded fuze which terminated in a copper alloy removable chape presumable to stop water getting into the fuze or to protect it from fraying. No stamped markings could be located on any part but a large crescent moon approx 12mm was cast onto the body when moulded. Does anyone know what these "Ottoman" grenades are they appear quite abit simpler than the standard British variety in use at Gallipoli etc. Appreciate any help

Kind regards

Julian Evan-Hart

PS I can be contacted personally on j.evenhart@ntlworld.com

Hi Julian,

A picture would be wonderful but your assumption is correct as to their nature I think. Not too up on Ottoman Empire weapons but the Turks produced a cast iron grenade very similar to the British emergency pattern No.15 ('Cricket Ball' or 'Loos' pattern) and the Australian Law Adams grenade as well as very similar to the French Ball.

All were simple cast iron spheres with a closing plug (carrying ring on the Turkish grenade). Fuse was a simple Bickford cord match lit fuse. Charge was black powder or HE.

I don't have any really decent pics of the Turkish Ball but in this topic below is some good info on the British No.15 which is virtually the same thing:

More on emergency patterns here:

This is a Turkish grenade which may have been much the same in design and use but a different shape:

post-569-1195067371.jpg

Hi to all

Is there a chance the "hand bomb" resembled this Turkish grenade? This one was evidently dropped by a Turkish soldier at Nov. the 14th 1917….

6222d4b593.JPG

187aa50088.JPG

Many thanks to you guys for replying my grenades are very similar to the spherical ones you have pictured dropped by a Turkish soldier....Im abit PC DUMB amd am unsure how to upload images to forums etc, so if you would like to Email me directly on j.evenhart@ntlworld.com I will reply with attachment pics of my finds asap....Cheers Julian

Hi, attached is a photo of a "Gallipoli" souvenir that a veteran probably brought back from the campaign. This Ottoman ball grenade has an arabic number 3 on the side, its official designation was probably something like "Grenade, Ball, No.3", also note where the ring would have originally gone (I understand the ring was for attachment to the belt and/or to aid long distance throwing by aid of a sling-shot type rope). The brass plate is where the fuse was safely placed when in 'travel'. Before it was thrown it would have been withdrawn and then lit.

post-1114-1195166912.jpg

Dear All,

For your information, hand grenade was and still is seen as a cult weapon by Turkish military. Ignoring the early modern period hand bombs the Turkish military first came across hand grenade during counterinsurgency campaign launched against various Balkan guerrilla bands commonly know as Komitacıs. These guerrilla fighters especially the Bulgarians were famous of their hand grenade attacks. The Turkish military immediately introduced it to the arsenal of the units. But it was the Galipoli Campaign which instrumentally made the hand grenade an essential infantry weapon. For example more than 200,000 hand grenades were sent to Galipoli Front during 1915. If you take into consideration of the hand grenades manufactured by the field units the Turkish fascination with the hand grenades becomes more clear.

The contemporary Turkish infantry manual gives information about three types of hand grenades; standard German stick bombs, big ball type bombs and small ball types.

Regards