Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th County of London Regiment

Twiglet

As you may know, I've been researching the Tallowin family. This time, it's Thomas Tallowin, who was born in around 1897. I can't link him to my family tree as of yet, but he has to fit in somewhere!

Anyway, he joined up and was assigned to the 17th Count of London Regiment. Can anyone tell me anything more about them?

As far as I know, he wasn't killed in WW1 (no mention of his name on CWGC site).

I have his Award of Service Paper and Attestion documents from Ancestry.co.uk, dated June 1915.

Thanks,

Twiglet

You should find a good outline of the unit on "The Long Long Trail" -see the link above. Someone (search the forum - it's there somewhere) recently published a volume on the 17th, - you will also find info in the divisional history (47th) which is available as a reprint - or you could try an inter library loan request.

I've managed to track down this elusive Thomas Tallowin, and put him in his rightful place on the family tree.

I thought his ancestry.co.uk military record consisted of 2 pages, how wrong I was! Upon further investigation, I've discovered he was called up for service, served as a rifleman and was later discharged as being insane! I've not fully studied the paperwork, but it seems he joined, then was discharged a short while later.

I'm planning to put the all the paperwork into a PDF tomorrow, so it's in one document. If anyone out there is willing to decipher it for me, please PM :)

Thanks loads

Twiglet

Twiglet, I have a copy of 'The Poplars" by Ron Wilcox, about the 1/17th Londons (The Polar and Stepney Rifles).

If there's any particular information that you require (e.g. time period) please let me know. If there's anything in the book that might interest, then I'll let you know and we can take it from there.

Noel

I've just picked up a new book on the 17th Londons, though it has no index and I couldn't find mention of a Tallowin in a quick flick through.

The book is called 'Tommy Jim in Flanders Fields' byE.G. Vanlint, and proceeds go to the Army Benevolent Fund.

Hi Kate, & Noel - thanks for looking and recommending the book.

I don't think mention will be made of him, because I think he was in for 32 days before being discharged. On his papers it's got - Called up for service 26.6.16, posted 26.6.16, discharged 27.7.16 (para 398 (xvi) KRs - insanity.

On part of his papers it's got - 'Medically unfit - mentally deficient. Originated at Stratford during childhood, not result of or not aggravated by military service. Permanent, no incapacity.'

So not shell shock.

On the other hand, could he have faked it? Or played on his childhood illness? However, saying that, it's also down on the papers 'intended place of residence - at present in Colney Hatch Asylum'. So perhaps not faked.

Poor bloke, he was only 18.