Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weinberg, german war artist

michel knockaert

Hello All,

I am searching informations concerning the work of german war artist whose name was Weinberg.

This artist has painted a scene of fighting representing the attack of Aubers Ridge, May 9, 1915, at the rue du Bois, Richebourg, a view on the German side.

thank you for advance for your precious help

very friendly

Michel

Hello All,

I am searching informations concerning the work of german war artist whose name was Weinberg.

This artist has painted a scene of fighting representing the attack of Aubers Ridge, May 9, 1915, at the rue du Bois, Richebourg, a view on the German side.

thank you for advance for your precious help

very friendly

Michel

Michel,

Sorry, can't quite make out from your post if Weinberg is a contemporary artist, or he painted at the time (or shortly after) the war. The name does not ring any bells, as would Röchling or Doebrich-Steglitz.

Paul

Hello Paul,

thank you for your answer, I think Weinberg was an artist of the time of war.

I will loock and come back

very friendly

Michel

Same here... I don't recall Weinberg and I'm not able to find anything useful by searching in the net. Closest name I can come up with is Brynolf Wennerberg.

Same here... I don't recall Weinberg and I'm not able to find anything useful by searching in the net. Closest name I can come up with is Brynolf Wennerberg.

Hello Landsturm,

thank you very for your help.

Perhaps I am wrong on the name and spelling and that it is Wennerberg, there really is a similarity between the two names ...

Michel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Landstrum,

thank you very much for the link and your help.

Please have a look on this one, and on the post number 699

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...6423&st=675

Michel

• 4 weeks later...

If this is the artist Brunno Wennerberg (sp?) who did a famous series of home life postcards which are reproduced in German history books frequently then there is even literature on the artist including possibly even a monograph or two. There are certainly articles in German on this artist both contemporary and historical. He portrayed a gentler, kinder type of heimat based Sturm Truppen. The family loving, jovial and happy go lucky type much more associated with Bruce Bairnsfarther's types actually.

John

Toronto

• 2 weeks later...

hello John,

How can we know? Do you have an idea ?

Michel

hello John,

How can we know? Do you have an idea ?

Michel

I bought the apparently complete set of postcards of his major illustrated work published if memory serves me right in 1916 and have also seen them frequently reproduced especially in continental European and especially German histories of the war. The facial expressions, poses and circumstances (often humourous) all indicate a nice warm feeling to these German soldiers.

John