Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of Field Ambulances

Guest Barbara

I am trying to find out more information ( location etc.) of the Field Ambulances attached to the 40th Division from June 1916.I am not sure where to look for this information and would be very grateful for your help,please.I am particularly interested in the 12th ( service )Suffolk Regiment.(Bantams)

Barbara

Don't have much, but...

All three Fd Amb's went out to France 16 June 1916 with 40th Div. Their War Diaries are in TNA under WO 95/2602

12th (S) Bn was formed at Bury St Edmunds in July 1915 as a bantam bn. Moved to Bordon and 121st Bde, 40th Div in Dec 15. Landad at Havre 6 June 1916. Reduced to cadre 6 May 1918. Returned to England (Pirbright) as part of 14th Div 17 June 18. Reconstituted with newly formed 16th Bn , joined 43rd Bde and landed back in Boulogne on 15 July 18. The bns War Diary is in WO 95/2616.

Their is a WW1 Regimental History 'The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-1927 by Lt Col C C R Murphy, Hutchinson & Co 1928. Don't think there has been a re-print .

Tony

Barbara

From the History of the 40th Division

To France early June, and by 9th 10 miles west of Bethune in area bounded by Lillers; St Hilaire; Rely; Febrin Palfart and Fontaine les Hermans with HQ at Norrent Fontes. A week later moved to a concentration nearer Bethune with HQ at Bruay.

Early July ordered to take over right sector of I Corps in Lens area.

There is a little about the Field Ambulances in the 'Formation' section, but unfortunately the Index has no mention of individual units.

If there is anything more specific I can help with, please ask.