Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crowe C.M

digger5410

I'm trying to find out details about Major Cyril Marconi Crowe MC DFC born Oakengates Shropshire 06/01/1894 died Swindon Wiltshire 31/5/74 who served with 56, 80 and 85 Squadrons RFC in WW1 and as a Wing Commander in WW2. His daughter would like to make up a replica set seeing he sold the originals during the depression. I looked up MIC but it said he was a Lt then Major with RHA and being new to this couldn't work out how to see what medals he had. Is there any way the purchaser could be traced she doesn't want them back, just like to know they've gone to a good home. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Rod

'Billy' Crowe initially served as an observer with No 4 Sqn Jan - May 1915. He then underwent pilot training and joined No 8 Sqn that December. He was then posted to to No 16 Sqn in Mar 1916. A year later, in Apr 17, he went to the crack No 56 Sqn as a flight commander. Albert Ball was a fellow flight commander. During that summer he claimed 8 victories and was awarded his MC. In Aug 17 he returned to UK and became an instructor at the Central Flying School. In Mar 18 he returned to No 56 Sqn for a brief combat refresher prior to taking command of a sqn and claimed five more victories before falling ill the following month. In early Jul 18 he took command of No 60 Sqn on the death of Jimmy McCudden, but at the end of that month he crashed a car, when returning from a party, and two of his passengers died. He was court-martialled a demoted to Capt for a month. He than commanded No 85 Sqn until the end of the war, shooting down one more aircraft and winning his DFC.

I don't have any knowledge of his WW2 service, but his WW1 medals would be MC, DFC, 1914-15 Star, War Medal, Victory Medal.

Charles M

Thanks heaps Charles that's a lot more than I knew before and gives a starting point to start a replica medal set

Rod