Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armistice Day

Marlene

Kia Ora

A note in loving memory and with grateful thanks to the 18,000 New Zealand soldiers who gave their lives during WW1.

They left New Zealand, often with their own horse and rifle from the family farm, to what probably seemed at the time, a great adventure.

18,000 did not return to these shores. Countless others did return with bullets in their backs from their own troops, or with undiagnosed injuries to their brains from gas in the trenches, as happened to my own family. Others returned with the deadly flu which decimated many villages, particularly Maori in isolated areas - these numbers are not quantified.

Wherever and for whatever reason they lie - may it be in peace.

Marlene

With Deep Appreciation and Thanks. A number lay alongside my Gt. Uncle in Fricourt New Military Cemetery. Ernie and the lads of the 10th West Yorks are in good company.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Thanks for your acknowlegments fellows. Our Armistice Day commemorations are over just as yours are beginning.

It's interesting to note that ANZAC DAY (25 April) sees numbers at the Dawn Service increasing each year as this commemorates both World Wars in which our troops participated, but awareness of Passchendale and other WW1 battles is growing only slowly. However many Kiwis go to Gallipoli each year as part of their O/E.

18,000 of a total population of 1 million including women & children certainly set the development of a new country back a few years!

Each year on ANZAC Day the graves in the military sections of our cemeteries are marked with red poppies by the RSA whereas my grandfather (buried with his wife) for example, is noted by the individual's family.

Here's hoping later generations continue the traditions.

Marlene

Visiting Passchendaele two weeks ago to commemorate the 90th Anniversary of my Great-uncle's death, we also paid our respects at this New Zealand memorial near Zonnebeke.

DSCF2484.jpg

and also noted, amongst many, this memorial for an unknown New Zealand Soldier at Tyne Cot.

DSCF2555.jpg

In grateful memory of all those who gave their lives in previous conflicts and keeping in our hearts our serving men today, still serving their country in hostile countries.

Remembered with honour today and always.