Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown (Divisional?) unit insignia

George Armstrong Custer

Does anyone recognise the following insignia - perhaps an unofficial Divisional device?

A bullseye configuration consisting of a white circle superimposed on a red one; the outer edge of the red and white circles are banded with a thin black edge. In the centre of the white circle is a green cross, the arms of which end in what resembles fleur de lis. At the twelve o'clock position on the outer red circle is the letter 'D' in black, with the letters 'C' at 8 o'clock and 'T' at four o'clock.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on this.

Ciao,

GAC

GAC

This is the badge of the Portugese Civil Defence organisation. It seems to be appearing on quite a few WW1 Brodie type helmets that were reissued for CD use and presumably are now being sold off into the collectors' market.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks very much - the insignia is on a brodie helmet. Presumably these are bona fide WWI vintage Brodies? This one certainly bears the ID stamps listed on another thread by Joe Sweeney. Thanks again for solving the mystery!

Regards,

George

GAC

As far as I know they are "proper" WW1 Brodies, WW1 surplus, although I think that the Portugese may have relined some of them.

Mike

Mike, thanks again. The helmet I have appears to be in its correct shade of original British paint - there's just steel under the one coat - which is in superb condition apart from age patina, and slight what appear to be storage marks from being stacked. It is an early first pattern without rim edging, stamped 'FSS', which Joe has tentatively identified as Thomas Firth & Son. The chinstrap is again the correct pattern and appears completely original to a British Brodie, attached to the helmet through the top rivet, and is also in almost new condition. Only the liner, as you note, has been replaced with a leather affair which is riveted on each side to the original chinstrap. This replacement liner shows no sign of use.

Its my guess, then, that once these helmets were transferred to Portugal they were relined then crated up for the civil defense in a future emergency which never happened. They are therefore perhaps the only opportunity to obtain an almost mint condition Brodie shell and chinstrap - not surprising they're finding their way into the collectors market! I'm sure the Portugese stocks of these would be an attractive source for reenactors as well as collectors. The Portugese Civil Defense device is a transfer, which rubbed off with boiling water, leaving no trace. One would only have to find a reasonable original liner on an inferior helmet in order to have the potential to have an almost pristine and complete first pattern Brodie.

Regards,

George