Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surrey Regiment

Myrtle

Someone I work with mentioned that her grandfather served overseas with the East Surrey Regiment and the only details that I can find that match are those of Acting Corporal Thomas J. Whyberd 4637 East Surrey Regiment. Is it possible to say which battalion he was with, from his service number?

Myrtle

Someone I work with mentioned that her grandfather served overseas with the East Surrey Regiment and the only details that I can find that match are those of Acting Corporal Thomas J. Whyberd 4637 East Surrey Regiment. Is it possible to say which battalion he was with, from his service number?

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

Have a look at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

This is his medal index card reference. For £3.50 you can download the actual index card which may have his battalion number, from which you should be able to find out where he served.

Best wishes

Phil

Hi Myrtle, I would suggest it to be either the 1st or 2nd Battalions. There is a Pte 4634 with the 1st East Surrey's on SDGW,

cheers, Jon

Myrtle

I'll suggest he was with the 3/5th East Surrey Regiment for starters but after that I've no idea I'm afraid. This is his Attestation entry from the Surrey Recruitment Register CD.....

Steve

Steve

Thank you very much for the attestation entry. It indicates that this is probably the correct man as he was living in that area of London at the time. I will pass the information on to his grand daughter and then she can confirm his age etc and decide what she wants to do about further research.

Phil

Thanks for your post. I found he was with the East Surrey Regiment through his mic.

Jon

Thanks also. I initially noticed that there was an entry in SDGW for 4634 but I know that this doesn't always indicate that the man would have been with the same battalion.

Myrtle

Jon

I assume you mean the 14598 number on the attestation details as opposed to his MIC Service Number of 4637.

4637 was his allocated East Surrey's service number, the number on the attestation details isn't a service number but pertains somehow to his entry in the registers, I've read the details that come with the CD but I'm still not 100% sure what that number actually relates to as there is no apparent order to the numbering sequence.

Steve

Jon

This is the detail from the CD that hopefully explains the numbers....

• 2 years later...

Hello I'm new to this site and I'm looking for help in finding information on my Grand-father. His name was Walter Robert Joyce, service No 12109, He enlisted at Kingston on Thames on 04-05-1908 and was discharged on 3-05-1920 he servered 10 years with the colours and 1 year in the Army reserve. I have his paybook complete with bullet hole, discharge and character certificate. My mother remembers that he was presented with a pocket watch by the family of an officer whose life he saved, she remembers that there was an inscription on the watch which said "In grateful rememberence France 13-10-1914". If anyone can aassist me I will be very grateful. He servered with the 1st East Surreys and at the time of his discharge was with the 3rd E Surreys.

Hello I'm new to this site and I'm looking for help in finding information on my Grand-father. His name was Walter Robert Joyce, service No 12109, He enlisted at Kingston on Thames on 04-05-1908 and was discharged on 3-05-1920 he servered 10 years with the colours and 1 year in the Army reserve. I have his paybook complete with bullet hole, discharge and character certificate. My mother remembers that he was presented with a pocket watch by the family of an officer whose life he saved, she remembers that there was an inscription on the watch which said "In grateful rememberence France 13-10-1914". If anyone can aassist me I will be very grateful. He servered with the 1st East Surreys and at the time of his discharge was with the 3rd E Surreys.

Peter,

Post up on a new thread and you might catch some of the East Surrey experts, best of luck.

Regards