Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U-boats

healdav

In a French newspaper from 1916 I have found n article purporting to show German ships that have been especially built to transport U-boats in an underwater hold, to their operating areas.

It is obviously not true, but has anyone ever come acoss uch a suggestion before? It's a new one to me.

Another myth!

They probably misused the "Vulcan" Dock- und Hebeschiff (salvor- and uboot mothership) for their prpaganda purposes

post-80-1194634774.jpg

I suspect the idea was discounted because of the danger of a boat rolling within the mother ship and damaging its ballast tanks or screws - but I find it intriguing too.

I can't see any advantage in transporting a U-boat into hostile waters on the surface in a large and vulnerable mother ship — but Vulkan obviously fits the description, even if she wasn't actually used for the purpose described. Great photo, Egbert — can you tell us any more about Vulkan?

I can't see any advantage in transporting a U-boat into hostile waters on the surface in a large and vulnerable mother ship —

Well the U boat would otherwise have to travel there on the surface anyway and the host ship might be disguised as a neutral if the underwater hold was completely concealed. A patrolling flying boat or airship might ignore a ship with a neutral flag (other than reporting it) but would certainly attack a U boat on the surface. The ship would allow the U boat to pass through a patrolled section easier (otherwise it might have to travel on the surface by night and lay up submerged by day. U boats did not travel long distances submerged.

I can't see any advantage in transporting a U-boat into hostile waters on the surface in a large and vulnerable mother ship —

Well the U boat would otherwise have to travel there on the surface anyway and the host ship might be disguised as a neutral if the underwater hold was completely concealed. A patrolling flying boat or airship might ignore a ship with a neutral flag (other than reporting it) but would certainly attack a U boat on the surface. The ship would allow the U boat to pass through a patrolled section easier (otherwise it might have to travel on the surface by night and lay up submerged by day. U boats did not travel long distances submerged.