Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Welsford - RFC observer

mike j dunn

During the 1950's, when a pupil at Purbrook Park Grammar School, I had a physics teacher name Bert Welsford. His surname could have been Welford. I guess his full Christian name was Albert. During the Great War, he was an observer with the RFC. I don't know if he was commissioned or not. I remember how his experiences had shaped his life and he seemed (quite understandably) to have become a strong pacifist by the time I knew him.

Does anybody have any information on the Service career of Albert Welsford (or Welford), obeserver, RFC

With thanks,

Mike

Mike

The best match I can find in the records is 2 Lt Ernest Ambrose Welsford (RFC), gazetted cadet to 2 Lt on probation from 18 Jan 1918, confirmed 2 Lt 14 Aug 1918 as a 2 Lt (Observer).

The RAF list for 1 Aug 1918 shows only two Welsford's E.A. (on probation) and Lt H.G. (technical branch).

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
Mike

The best match I can find in the records is 2 Lt Ernest Ambrose Welsford (RFC), gazetted cadet to 2 Lt on probation from 18 Jan 1918, confirmed 2 Lt 14 Aug 1918 as a 2 Lt (Observer).

The RAF list for 1 Aug 1918 shows only two Welsford's E.A. (on probation) and Lt H.G. (technical branch).

Patrick

Patrick,

Very many thanks for the information. Apologies for my slow reply but I have unable to access the Internet for a few days.

It looks like EA Welsford is the right name I have been looking for. Can you tell me where he would have served during his time as an observer,

With best regards,

Mke

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Here is another possibility for you. In looking at "The Sky Their Battlefield" there is an entry from a casualty report for the 31st July 1916 where the observer Private Welford is injured:

Squadron 22, FE2b Number 5242. Whilst on a patrol, in combat with an enemy aircraft near Bray. The aircraft was forced to land, crashed and burned. the pilot 2nd Lt F D Holder was uninjured but his observer Pte Welford was injured in the landing.

Regards

Steve

Sorry Mike, I think that was a false alarm. I've just checked the RFC Communiques for that period and Private Welford is listed there as having the initials L and C for his Christian names.

Steve