Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant John Keith Grant Robertson

Vincent Borg

Hello and how are you all,

I am trying to find information on Lieutenant John Keith Grant Robertson, Royal Flying Corps died in an R.E. 8 plane crash

together with Lieutenant Eric Clark on Monday - 01st January, 191 and both are buried next to each other in Heilly Station Cemetery in France.

What I wish to obtain is

What caused his plane to crash (Was it cause of weather conditions)

His Date of Birth

Enrollment Date

Regiment Number

Photo if any

Thanks to all in anticipation,

Best Regards,

Vincent Borg.

Naxxar,

Malta.

They were flying A82 of 52 Sqn, an RE8 that had been delivered to the unit on 10 November 1916. 52 Sqn was the first operational unit to use the RE8 and had an unhappy time with the type, eventually exchanging their RE8s for the BE2es of 34 Sq. Robertson and Foster-Clarke (according to my records) were on artillery observation duty on 1 January 1917 when the machine was destroyed by fire (cause unknown according to reports)

A82 was reported on 121 Sqn at Narborough, in the Spring of 1918, but I'm sure this was a clerical error.

They were flying A82 of 52 Sqn, an RE8 that had been delivered to the unit on 10 November 1916. 52 Sqn was the first operational unit to use the RE8 and had an unhappy time with the type, eventually exchanging their RE8s for the BE2es of 34 Sq. Robertson and Foster-Clarke (according to my records) were on artillery observation duty on 1 January 1917 when the machine was destroyed by fire (cause unknown according to reports)

A82 was reported on 121 Sqn at Narborough, in the Spring of 1918, but I'm sure this was a clerical error.

Hello Mick,

Thanks for the information much appreciated,

Best Regards,

Vincent Borg

Naxxar,

Malta

Hi Vincent,

There is a picture of Robertson in Harrow Memorials, Volume 4.

Andy

From Ancestry BMD:-

Name: John Keith G Robertson

Year of Registration: 1895

Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep

District: Petworth

County: Sussex

Volume: 2b

Page: 333

Hi Vincent,

There is a picture of Robertson in Harrow Memorials, Volume 4.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the information but it is impossible for me to obtain this book

could you please assit.

Thanks once again for your assistance,

Best Regards

Vincent Borg

Naxxar,

Malta.

From Ancestry BMD:-

Name: John Keith G Robertson

Year of Registration: 1895

Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep

District: Petworth

County: Sussex

Volume: 2b

Page: 333

Hi Lorac,

Thanks for your assistance much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Vincent Borg

Naxxar,

Malta.

Vincent,

If no-one has posted it here for you I will when I get home next weekend.

Andy

Vincent,

If no-one has posted it here for you I will when I get home next weekend.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for your assistance,

Regards,

Vincent Borg.

Naxxar,

Malta.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Vincent,

Sorry for the delay but as promised, if you need the full size picture let me have your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

Andy

post-1871-1196206176.jpg

Lieutenant J.K. Robertson

Royal Flying Corps

January 1st, 1917.

Aged 21.

Elder son of John Herbert Robertson, late I.C.S., and his wife, Helen Rowena Robertson, of Linden House, Tonbridge, Kent.

After one term at Harrow he went to Geneva, and then to Edinburgh University, to study medicine. He left to take up a business career in the firm of Messrs. Robert Ingam Clark & Co., Westham Abbey, Stratford.

Lieutenant Grant Robertson enlisted in the R.A.M.C. at the beginning of the War and then obtained a commission in the Army Service Corps. He went to the front in August, 1915 and was invalided home in the following March. He then joined the Royal Flying Corps as a pilot and went to France in October, 1916. He was attached to the 51st Squadron where he was engaged most on artillery duty. On January 1st, 1917, near Albert, he was flying an R.E.8. machine with an Observer, on artillery duty over the German lines, when his machine was seen to fall in flames, both Officers being instantaneously killed. He was buried at Heilly, on the Ancre, in the French Military Cemetery.

His Flight Commander wrote:-

"I can only assure you of the grief felt by both Officers and men of his Squadron at the death of two of the keenest and most efficient Officers we had."

Andy

Lieutenant J.K. Robertson

Royal Flying Corps

January 1st, 1917.

Aged 21.

Elder son of John Herbert Robertson, late I.C.S., and his wife, Helen Rowena Robertson, of Linden House, Tonbridge, Kent.

After one term at Harrow he went to Geneva, and then to Edinburgh University, to study medicine. He left to take up a business career in the firm of Messrs. Robert Ingam Clark & Co., Westham Abbey, Stratford.

Lieutenant Grant Robertson enlisted in the R.A.M.C. at the beginning of the War and then obtained a commission in the Army Service Corps. He went to the front in August, 1915 and was invalided home in the following March. He then joined the Royal Flying Corps as a pilot and went to France in October, 1916. He was attached to the 51st Squadron where he was engaged most on artillery duty. On January 1st, 1917, near Albert, he was flying an R.E.8. machine with an Observer, on artillery duty over the German lines, when his machine was seen to fall in flames, both Officers being instantaneously killed. He was buried at Heilly, on the Ancre, in the French Military Cemetery.

His Flight Commander wrote:-

"I can only assure you of the grief felt by both Officers and men of his Squadron at the death of two of the keenest and most efficient Officers we had."

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the great photograph and write up.

Much appreciated.

Thanks once again,

Best Regards,

Vincent Borg.

Naxxar,

Malta.

Andy