Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with discharge papers?a couple of questions!

hampshire hog

hi there

continuing my research of a g g g grandfather....previous posts can be found here!!!(some of you may remember, the VC situation)

i have his discharge papers and would like to know a couple of things??? papers attached!

ok he was on serving on hms penelope from oct 1874 to may 1875.......whats that, that is written in the ratings column??, and also he earned £5.00, what would/could that have been for????, anyone have any idea what that says in the remarks column?!

also further down, in the character column, it says, what i think looks like i.only, whats that mean???

and also on the last ship he served on, whats that mean thats written in the discharge, and remarks columns????

thanks in advance, for anyone who can convert this for me!!!

gina

821.pdf

ok he was on serving on hms penelope from oct 1874 to may 1875.......whats that, that is written in the ratings column??

Boy 1st Class

also further down, in the character column, it says, what i think looks like i.only, whats that mean???

T. only - not sure what that may mean. "Time only"? He may have broken his thigh at the start of this term & therefore character not assessed due to hospitalisation.

and also on the last ship he served on, whats that mean thats written in the discharge, and remarks columns????

Invalided Haslar (RN hospital) Fracture of thigh. Traced W June 78.

W?

hi there

continuing my research of a g g g grandfather....previous posts can be found here!!!(some of you may remember, the VC situation)

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=36474&st=0

i have his discharge papers and would like to know a couple of things??? papers attached!

ok he was on serving on hms penelope from oct 1874 to may 1875.......whats that, that is written in the ratings column??, and also he earned £5.00, what would/could that have been for????, anyone have any idea what that says in the remarks column?!

Hi Gina

I think the £5 on GD record may be a one off payment of some kind

as a young sailor in 1903 received 3/7d ( 3 shillings and 7pence) per

week, this was increased to 4/1d after six months. So £5 seems high

in comparison for that date.

Good luck

Margarette

thanks in advance, for anyone who can convert this for me!!!

gina

thanks people!, for this

John, whats boy 1st class???

many thanks again

gina

would i be able to find out, why he recieved that payment of £5.00??

John, whats boy 1st class???

A very-well-behaved young man. -_-

Seriously, you could enlist in the R.N. underage, and were rated as "Boy 2nd Class", advancing to "Boy 1st Class". When you came of age you were a Seaman, Ordinary to begin, but perhaps experienced Boys were rated Able Bodied?