Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MG08 Sledmount oil cans

dutchbarge

I've long wondered why my MG08 sledmount has no oil cans. Every sledmount I've seen in period photos and in museums has them. Mine never did. There are no holes, weld marks ect. where they might have been. My mount has a very low serial number, #1312. Could it be that on the early mounts they didn't use them? Can anyone offer an explaination? I've attached photos. Thanks

post-21989-1194486328.jpg

I've attached photos. Thanks

No you haven't ;)

No you haven't ;)

Sorry 'ole chum, I'm still trying to suss out how to load pics. I admit to being a bit slow on the uptake but it's my always being so bleeding cheerful what'll see me thru. Here's another pic (hopefully) of the serial number, proof marks, unit marks? and maker's stamp WH. Cheers, Bill

post-21989-1194486771.jpg

Hi,

did not notice WH, but see AWS (Artillerie Werkstatte) weapons producing firm

Regards,

Cnock

The oil and glycerine cans are described as part of the schlitten 08 and all the drawings and photos I can locate show them. However they were not part of the schlitten 03 from which the 08 was developed. Can't tell from your photo (and I'm sure you've checked) but is there the outside possibilty that you've got an 08 gun on an 03 schlitten?

The oil and glycerine cans are described as part of the schlitten 08 and all the drawings and photos I can locate show them. However they were not part of the schlitten 03 from which the 08 was developed. Can't tell from your photo (and I'm sure you've checked) but is there the outside possibilty that you've got an 08 gun on an 03 schlitten?

Hello, How can I tell the difference between an '03 and an '08? Would another photo of a different prospect help? Thanks

Hello, How can I tell the difference between an '03 and an '08? Would another photo of a different prospect help? Thanks

I'll scan and post some drawings and photos of 01 and 03 schlittens this evening.

I'll scan and post some drawings and photos of 01 and 03 schlittens this evening.

I was reading this article with interest ,when i was staggered to see the logo "aws "described as Artillerie Werkstatte.the maker of the gun.

I posted on this forum some months ago a picture of a cosh/trench weapon brought back from W.W.1 by my great uncle.the logo is exactly the same on it leading me to the conclusion its from the same maker.I have done a google search on Artillerie Werkstatte,but apart from some german pages i cannot understand,the only thing in english,is this page.Can anyone give me some info on Artillerie Werkstatte,was it one company,what was their "products",and are there any webpages you can point me to.

Many thanks,paul.

I've reposted the pic of the cosh here

http://flickr.com/photos/20143949@N00/1934386753/

Schlitten03

The wheels would not always be fitted.

Thanks so much for the drawings. I've definately got an 08 sledmount. I think the mystery has been solved by an email I got today. (Back channel, not on the Forum). According to the email, and I've checked it out, on page 173 of Dolf Goldsmith's The Devil's Paintbrush, "Sleds made shortly before the end of the war in 1918 did not have oilcans and the small acessory box on the rear left leg." Mine has the accessory box so perhaps mine was made a bit earlier?

Can anyone identify the proof mark with the crown? Why does it surmount to indecipherable letters and 5? Any idea what these letters might be? How about the WH (located to the far right)? And why is there 108 below the AWS? Thanks

• 1 year later...

There are 3 patterns of 08 sled mounts Bill.

First pattern with oil/jelly container in the middle of the deck, second pattern minus oil/jelly box, third pattern minus oil/jelly box and small spares box. Fortunately period of manufacture assists:

1st patt up to 1916

2nd patt up to 1917

3rd patt 1918

your sled is in great condition.

Mark

c

Thanks so much for the drawings. I've definately got an 08 sledmount. I think the mystery has been solved by an email I got today. (Back channel, not on the Forum). According to the email, and I've checked it out, on page 173 of Dolf Goldsmith's The Devil's Paintbrush, "Sleds made shortly before the end of the war in 1918 did not have oilcans and the small acessory box on the rear left leg." Mine has the accessory box so perhaps mine was made a bit earlier?

Can anyone identify the proof mark with the crown? Why does it surmount to indecipherable letters and 5? Any idea what these letters might be? How about the WH (located to the far right)? And why is there 108 below the AWS? Thanks