Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Shorebases Reference Book

Jonathan Saunders

I would be grateful if anyone with the above book could advice on HMS "Actaeon".

A Zeebruge fatality a friend is researching, served on Actaeon between 3rd August to 5th October 1914. We cannot find a record of HMS "Actaeon" as a warship in World War I but there was a reference that suggested it was a shore base. This particular man had joined up in 1913 so was not a Reservist mobilised to a shorebase with war imminent.

If someone can clairfy the details of Actaeon it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Actaeon was the torpedo school and auxiliary patrol base at Sheerness, Kent from 1905 until 31.03.22. HMS Actaeon was formerly HMS Ariadne. The base was an actual ship.

Also when the naval flying school was started at Eastchurch in 1911 all men were borne on the books of Actaeon. It was also the depot ship for torpedo boat destroyers from 1910.

Actaeon II was the name given to the hulk moored at Sheerness from 1921 and which was formerly HMS Dido until renamed in 1906. It was used by the torpedo school until sold in 1922.

I only bought this book (Shore Establishments of the RN) out of curiosity and it has become the most used reference work in answering questions on the Forum!

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me for tagging along on the above question but I was looking into my Grandfathers Service record for " Actaeon" as well. His service record has 3 entries for "Actaeon" between Sept 17 and July 18 but with "(Queen Empress)" added in each case. Is anyone able to enlighten me on what "Queen Empress" refers to?